Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Library Peonship Begins....

As I type this I have gravel in my eyes, fire in my quads, and my feet feel like those of the Wicked Witch of the East? West? South? Wherever the hell she was from. You know, in The Wizard of Oz, when the house falls on her and her feet curl up so her witchy sister can't get the ruby slippers? Yeah, my feet feel like that.

I got up around 7 this morning to go for my workout before I got makeupped. Lovely morning....birds chirpling (new word), strangling humidity. I dodged the school kids waiting for the bus, came home, forced my hair into a straight mess instead of a curly mess, and I was off!

Got to the library at 9:00...learned how to open, and I found out I'll be getting a key when N goes on maternity leave. I'm getting a mad boner from the power trip...see 8=====o~~~ (blue balls). I realize that was gross. Leave me alone.

The short version of the morning:
Counted money
Sorted books
Checked in books
Sorted books
Checked out books
Sorted books
....you get the picture. There was much sorting to be done this morning, and the sorting happens at an odd angle for the back. I wanted to remove my own spine after all the bending and sorting. Perhaps Dr. Claw has a kit for that, too.

Went to lunch at one and here's how the afternoon shaped up:
Sorted books
Shelved books
Sorted books
Shelved books
Checked in and out books
Shelved books
Issued some new library cards
Shelved books

And then I went home.

Have you any idea how much stooping and crouching is involved in shelving books? I'm doped up right now to help me forget how much stooping and crouching is involved in shelving books. It all boils down to this: I'm spoiled to working two days a week...not on my feet. I'm now working 5.5 days a week, and out of those days I'll be on my feet for four days. But I'm making mad money. That's a consolation. And I no longer have to do any lunges....because, did I mention the stooping and crouching?

In all seriousness, the women I work with are hilarious, the eight hours passed by in two shakes (of a lamb's tail), and I think I'm really going to enjoy this. ME also offered me a position as the director of the Tuesday Night book group. I want it, but I doubt my grad school schedule will allow it. So much for being a leader. *sob*

My TV viewing tonight: The Bachelor (because it's so damn sick!), and SuperNanny (I wanna be Jo Frost).

26 comments:

  1. I just left a comment on your last entry wondering when we'd hear from you! Glad to hear you're enjoying it (so far)! And that you're getting your exercise too! It's nice to see that you're in a job that you'll enjoy. Too many people in the world stuck in a job they hate!

    Not sure how to respond to the blue balls diagram though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! No comment necessary on the blue balls. It's been a while since I've drawn any genitalia with keyboard characters, though. It was way overdue, and I feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, the stooping and crouching...shelving is the worst part of working in a library!

    recently i found myself a grade 4 helper (who conveniently has to wait until 4 to be picked up) and she seems to like shelving, go figure. i say, shelve away girl! she's moving in a few weeks and will catch the school bus and won't be hanging around anymore...and i'll have to start shelving again. noooooooooo!

    glad the job seems like fun otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi, you SIT while you teach? I'm a total midget, so I stand the full session and in fuck-me heels that give me at least three inches of height.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Supernanny's on tonight, and I;m supposed to be going out! Then again I'm not going out-out so I might make it back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ago,
    I need a short helper!!! lol Since she's moving anyway, send her this way!! :o)

    I think I'm really gonna enjoy it, and I've got my hand disinfectant ready to go tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dena,
    My biggest class this semester is like 10 people....so I can easily perch on tables and stuff while I teach. We're mostly done with the new material, and we're just practicing writing skills, so they're doing a lot of independent writing. I circulate, of course, but not the whole time...makes 'em fidgety.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, hope you get to see some of it, Fence. This was a sweeter family than last week's sociopath boys, but still a handful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about shelving! Sometimes I get away with putting on headphones and just getting a total workout.

    I do copy cataloging -- so I get to see all the new books first and I find things I would like to read that I might not have picked up before hand. I love the library.... Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. excellent, excellent. welcome to the wonderful world of waking up early!!

    you wanna switch jobs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh. my back hurts just thinking about it! still glad you're having fun though. i'm sure you'll get more adjusted to all of it as you do it. just think of it as a new workout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, Andi. Once my new-material lecturing is over around week 5/6, I leave 'em to their work. Circulating is fun for me and some seem to enjoy the attention, but others freeze up as soon as I'm hanging over their shoulder, mouth-breathing and goggle-eyed at their mistakes.

    Tonight's class is of 20 students. I'm hoping they stuck to the cap and didn't add any more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amanda,
    I had to really hold myself back from ruffling through all the new books that haven't been put out on the shelves. I almost humped the carts, but I refrained. Aren't you proud of me?? :oD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steph,
    What do you do? I can't remember. Besides phone sex operator extraordinaire, of course. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clack,
    Def thinking of it as a workout. I'm so pathetic today..shrieking and gasping every time I get up or sit down or step down a curb, etc. Ugg.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Denareena,
    How long is a term? Just wondering since you said your new material only lasts 5 or 6 weeks. I wanna say our semesters are longer...but not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh its very exciting - financial analyst for a VERY large delivery company.....

    see- dont you want to come to the cube farm and become another nameless face?

    then i could fondle the books all day. mmmmmm... fondling

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh, I've been a nameless face, too. I worked for TXU as a web designer for a while. Cubeland was...square. lol

    I'll fondle a book or two for you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay, I'm so glad you are enjoying it! I'm green! You are so lucky! Let us know if you see any interesting books.

    PS: Supernanny reaaaaally makes me feel good about my own parently skills.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL, Heather! SuperNanny makes me feel good about *my* parenting skills...of which I have none. :oD

    Will keep you updated on books!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you're enjoying it, Andibotz. People don't realize how physical library work really is! Imma have some nice biceps by the end of my field placement from the book hauling I've done. Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay for muscles, Heather!!! I can't wait til mine start popping out all over. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey--if you DO start popping muscles out all over, you MUST post a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well I didn't make it back for Supernanny at nine, but I did have a good night out, and still managed to make it to bed by 12 so got plenty of sleep :)

    Maybe E4 will be showing repeats...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Os, if I have muscles, there will definitely be pictures. Lots of pictures. Pictures everywhere to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fence,
    You missed a good SuperNanny, but I'm glad you had a nice night out. I actualy got to bed at 11 last night and woke up 5 mins before the alarm. Ahhh, refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!