Friday, April 29, 2005

Salon vol.1

sa·lon
Pronunciation Key (s-ln, sln, s-lô)n.
A large room, such as a drawing room, used for receiving and entertaining guests.

A periodic gathering of people of social or intellectual distinction.
A hall or gallery for the exhibition of works of art.
A commercial establishment offering a product or service related to fashion: a beauty salon.
Reference Diva from the library approached me last week about starting a salon of sorts. She walked up and asked, "When I say salon what do you think of?"
"France," I replied. DINGDINGDING!! Correct answer! Score one for Andi. If I'd said "beauty" or "nail" she would've huffed and walked away, I'm sure.
Reference Diva (aka MaryAnn) wants to start a salon of sorts for those of us who like to philosophize and chew over obscure thoughts...and drink wine. I'm supposed to be drumming up ideas for people to join us in our philosophical wine-drinking. I'm very excited about such an odd idea.
Normally the only salon I'm a part of is the one that goes on in my head. It's a one woman conversation, which makes things much more agreeable, but the echo gets a bit annoying sometimes.
Today on my way home from work I was thinking of my post about what's sexy, and I was listening to my boyfriend, Gavin Degraw, and I was stroking my new purse, and I was chewing over the book I'm reading, and I had a potential thesis idea (even though that's two years away). It dawned on me...I left out the sexiest of sexy characteristics:
PASSION
I'm a passionate person about a number of things, and I'm cripplingly attracted to passion in other people...whether they be friends, lovers, family members, or my favorite artists, songwriters, writers, actors. My passion is what I like most about myself. I've always been an innately creative person, and I gave up trying to suppress it years ago. I live and breath my passions...in my free time and my career and academic life. I like to surround myself with passionate people because they keep me juiced up and productive.
Some of the passionate people I admire (living and dead):
My friend Sherrie from NC. We have a ton in common. When we were both miserable high school teachers in NC we kept each other sane by going on day trips to insiring places, watching films, swapping great music, talking books, book browsing for hours, being quiet in coffee shops and on the beach. She's full of wonderful, lush ideas, and I always love talking with her. I miss her. :o(
Jackson Pollock. So he was a drunk and slightly nuts....but still passionate. His paintings, despite the fact that "they could've been done by a five-year-old" are passion given legs to walk all over you. Same with Frida Kahlo. I could look at their work for hours. Unfortunately no museums around here have any Kahlos....but I have a religious moment with Cathedral every time I visit Pollock's section at the Dallas Museum of Art.
A wide variety of musicians: Joni Mitchell, Shawn Colvin, The Dixie Chicks, Alison Krauss, Mindy Smith, John Mayer, Dave Matthews, David Gray, now Gavin Degraw, and I can't forget my girlfriend...Amy Lee. A bunch more...from all different genres. The singer/songwriter types probably inspire me the most, as they always seem to sound like they're in love with their craft. Makes me wobbly in ze knees.
Kate Winslet. Intelligent, understated, amazing actress. That's all there is to say about her.
And I haven't forgotten you...my blog peeps (and those who are my real life peeps that just happen to read my blog). You're all passionate about so many different things, and I admire you all. I love reading about your lives and loves.
Watch for future Salon-titled entries for updates on our little salon project and my own ramblings about single-word topics and how they explode in my brain.
On TV: No TV.
CD: Chariot, by baby daddy (Gavin)
In my head: INSPIRATION! Finally!

10 comments:

  1. Andi-

    Wow. You really made me want to get up and write. Sure, it's 2:43 am and I'm going to bed...but I really want to write tomorrow because of you.

    -Tim

    P.S. Is it really egotistical to only think about yourself when reading someone else's blog, because that's what I just did.

    P.P.S. I hope you have a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Glad to inspire you, Tim, and it's not egotistical...or maybe it is, but don't feel bad because I do it all the time. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great idea to start a salon. I'll admit that if anyone asked me what I thought of when they said salon, I'd have to answer the internet cause I read salon.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. good answer on the salon thing. its really a matter of context though, right? if you're reading a book and you ask me i might reference the scarlet pimpernel or a dumas work, but if you're standing in greenville i'd probably say....brendas.....or whatever hair place came to my mind first. :) ah well. i guess we can't all be perfect.
    the "bun" is baking nicely. i saw my belly move last night. what an odd experience! you should try it sometime. um. after you try getting married, preferably. after you try meeting the right guy, definitely....okay never mind... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun times! My friend Amanda Jay and I had a sort of salon. It was called the Suicide Prevention Bookclub. We talked other things besides books and it was a nice break from the stupidity known as fellow classmates. I'll be at your salon in spirit.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool! One of the things I miss about college was having meaningful, coherent, and sometimes even passionate conversations about philosopy, literature and history (my minor).

    Seems like now my most meaningful conversations are debates on watching Elmo or Baby Einstein.

    Fun. ;Þ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought of that, too, Fence! I would love to read Salon.com but I'm too cheap to spring for a subscription, and my internet connectiong is too slow to watch their little ads. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crystal,
    It is a matter of context, and I also knew, coming from this chick, that beauty salon was last on the menu. She's just not a froofy girl.

    Yeah, I can't imagine seeing my belly move...unless it's a jiggle induced my running and jumping and frolicking...or falling off of something, etc. Will def try the marriage thing first. I met a cute boy at the library today, so maybe sooner than later. lol ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like so much fun, Amanda! My friend Sherrie and I had sort of a two-person book club when I lived in NC. We usually ended up talking about lots of things other than the book, though.

    I wish you could be at our salon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear ya, Heather. I miss those conversations, too. My mom isn't into many of the hobbies/topics I'm into, but she's very nice and lets me gush about them anyway...even though I can see her eyes glazing over. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!