Monday, May 02, 2005

Abbreviated Jury Duty & Bitches Infiltrate the Library

Jury duty was the most uneventful experience I've ever had. I got there at 8:45, no trouble parking downtown, actually got a seat in the corridor outside the courtroom, got called in, judge talked for 2 mins, he asked for peeps with possible exemptions to come up, I went, I told him that I was a teacher and was giving finals this week, and he said, "Miss M. you're quite busy...come back another time." I was out by 10:15. I didn't even have to flash my Fry 'em t-shirt. Damnit. And I donated my $6 pay for the day to a women's charity. My random act of kindness for the day.

The rest of the day was more eventful. After two weeks at the library, I fear the honeymoon is over, and I'm really kinda gettin' the screws put to me. A few examples:

1) I'm not in the position I applied for and was accepted to.
2) I'm making 2.50 an hour less than I applied for.
3) I was supposed to be put on a Saturday rotation so that I'd only have to work one Saturday a month. Now I work every Saturday. Fuckers.

Today one of the bitches I work with...well, really the only bitch I work with, got mad at me. She assigned me to shelving books, meanwhile, in the 70 degree weather the children's librarian turned on the HEATER. It was a steambath. I shelved my heart out anyway. I sat down to do some paperwork before I checked the book drop outside and finished shelving the non-fiction. She stopped me mid-type and looked at me like a flaming pile of dog shit and said, "Ummm, what about the others??" I didn't really wanna say, "Hey, my fat ass is hot because B turned the heat on." So I told her I'd planned to empty the book drop at 7, and I'd finish after I got those non-fiction out of the drop and added them to my to-be-shelved pile (this was 10 mins 'til time to check the book drop, mind you). Again, she looked at me like the flaming feces, and I think she may have written a nasty note to my boss about me. I'm ready for war if need be. At this point I have no idea who my boss actually is because it seems that everyone can boss anyone around if they feel like it. I'd like a job description PLEASE!! And the job and hours and money that you fucking hired me for!!!!

(_!_)

And there was a little more to it, but it only makes me look better and her look even more stupid, and it'd take forever to type, so I'll leave you with that short outline. The bottom line, this library thing, while it's fun to fondle books, is making me appreciate teaching even more. I love being left alone to DO MY JOB. I had been waffling about whether or not to accept the grad. assistantship or stay with the library...they want to keep me on and train me for reference and children's, too. Now I'm thinkin' make the grad. thing is the better deal.

Stay tuned.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. The first is good, the second sucks. What's up w/that lousiness yo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck if I know. Blahhh and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you needed some snark so there ya go :)

    I'm afraid I would have told that co-worker where she could stuff it. Especially since you're not making the $$ promised. That's total BS!

    But congrads on getting out of jury duty. Haven't had that...honor...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just didn't wanna snark because of the library. *sniff*

    I soooo wanted to tell her wehere to stuff it. I like to think it's because she's pregnant and it's making her psychotic. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt until she has it.

    Thanks! This is the 2nd time I've been called, but I was in NC the first time. It's almost worth movin' just to get out of. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like, isn't jury dooooooty one o'them sacred responsib..respon... things that peoples should be a'doing :)

    Anyways you should get a job like mine. Manning the desk, so lots of online time, hour or two tops of shelving and then a little ILL-ing before surfing the net again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fence,
    I'm supposed to be desk girl, and I am most of the time, but said crazy woman wanted me to go shelve so she could chat with her friend that also works there. I haven't gotten to do much surfing because we're cleaning out our paper patron records. Fun to be had by all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andi, there's always someone waiting to step on the young and eager, hm? I feel your pain...I've been there and am there. Don't let those cunts treat you like shit. Do your job (whatever that may be), but if things get too wonky, tell them to lick your crack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Dena. I thought of you and your current job sitch when I was writing this particular post. I am prepared for the crack lickin' if it gets worse.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!