Sunday, May 29, 2005

Saturday (In More Ways Than One)

Note: I had this post formatted all cute...colors and stuff. Blogger ate that part and I'm too tired to redo it, so just read the damn thing.

Today's family lunch was a smashing success. We laughed ourselves 'tarded and ate ourselves into carb-induced comas (my favorite kind, as you all know). I only got 3 hours sleep, so that was a bit of hitch in the day, and I almost fell asleep in the floor at one point, but I managed to pull it out and stay conscious until everyone left.

My aunt's hubby, the one that gives off the molestor vibe, drew me diagrams of my exhaust system (the one on my car, that is). He asked, "Hey, Andi, what kind of exhaust system do you have on your car?"

-blank stare from me-

"Umm, I dunno. It works, and it's quiet."

Later he tracked me down in the kitchen and that's when he drew the diagrams to explain how mine is different from most, and I need to get the mufflers extended. He'd been on his back in the garage checking out my exhaust. Yeah. The conversation sounded a lil something like this:

"Wah wah wah yadda yadda blah blah wonk."

He also tried to have conversations with me about my XM radio and computers. That's the usual. I think he still thinks I'm a web designer.

My aunt Peggy painted a picture of a horse about 20 years ago that looks just like a mule. It was sitting in the living room because we returned some paintings to her and Murlene (don't have room for them in the new abode). She didn't remember painting it, but the mule thing became a running joke today. The Molestor took a picture with it. How fitting. Two asses on parade.

It was a really fun day. It reminded me of how deliciously warped my family is, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The other Saturday I alluded to in the title of this post is a book. I'm reading Saturday, by Ian McEwan and loving all 40 pages I've read. I can see that the main character may jump up and down on my nerves by the end, but the writing is gorgeous. In a nutshell, it's about a day in the life of a neurosurgeon, Henry Perowne. It starts with him seeing a flaming plane headed for Heathrow airport. One of those post-9/11 stabs that I've bashed before. I'm hoping to be pleasantly elated in spite of my distaste for 9/11 fiction.

Here's a passage I was fond enough of to actually, physically write it down in a paper journal. That's the utmost compliment.

But is there a lifetime's satisfaction in twelve bars of three obvious chords? Perhaps it's one of those cases of a microcosm giving you the whole world. Like a Spode dinner plate. Or a single cell. Or, as Daisy says, like a Jane Austen novel. When player and listener know the road so well, the pleasure is in the deviation, the unexpected turn against the grain. To see the world in a grain of sand.

In other reading news:

Trick, I'm sad to report that Gilead made me want to die, so I chunked it. I'm all for an internal story, but at least the main character could've been interesting. Suzz, can I have an "Amen!?" Maybe I'll try it again someday, but not anytime soon.

I also ditched One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Too many penises. I'm not in the mood for dick lit.

Oh, and I ditched one more: Serving Crazy with Curry, by Amulaya Malladi. Stilted dialogue drives me INSANE! Suzz, one more shout out to you: never read this book. Adverbs and adjectives out the ass.


TV: Long gone.

CD: Rascal Flatts' new one--Feels Like Today
Reading: We've covered this.
In my head: A zoo.

7 comments:

  1. That uncle does sound like Chester the Molester. Mext he will be asking about your "plumbing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Andi .. Gilead began to sap my will to live. I usually read at bedtime and started staying up later so I could avoid having time to read :))). That was a clue! Watching paint dry was looking pretty darn good.

    About Serving Crazy With Curry .. heh .. awhile back someone on a list recommended The Mango Season by the same author to me and I checked it out. Oy! I stumbled across the 50 page line but those darn adverbs and adjectives kept wanting their way with me so I quit :))

    Have never been able to read Marquez. I apparently lack the gene for reading magical realism.

    Suzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gilead made me almost want to go to church! And you have no idea what an accomplishment that would represent...heheh. But seriously, it portrayed for me the deep and meaningful ways that Christian narratives can structure existence, and it did so in ways that dusty old theology texts (a genre I am quite familiar with) never could.
    Perhaps I responded to that because I don't really feel like those are my narratives. It opened up a worldview to me in a graceful and intimate way.

    You are right though...it is indeed s l o w. In the book's defense I would say that it's the kind of thing to read when you are ready for some ruminatin', in the mood for something that slow and contemplative. Definitely a wintertime sort of book. Or maybe it's just an old man's book, hence it's appeal for me...

    I plan on checking out the McEwan eventually too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, biki, don't say it. I'll have nightmares now. My mother and I were discussing him earlier, and she said he'd been caught wearing my aunt's panties before...or something of the sort. Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I had that happen with 100 Years of Solitude....doing ANYTHING but reading.

    I never knew I had a problem with adverbs and adjectives, but Malladi throws them into a new statosphere. I've never seen so many...huddled together like the sexing ants I found in my pool last week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. trick,
    I think you hit it on the head. It's a winter book. I love contemplative reads in the winter, but summer calls for a different type of read. Not fluffy per se, but at least faster-moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really sorry Gilead didn't work for me. It sounded like a book that would be perfect for me and I had haunted the library trying to catch it on the shelves.

    I like slow pace, contemplative stuff, and spiritual thingys. It was just the writing style for me.

    I had been looking to read Housekeeping by her and actually saw a used copy at a library sale a couple of days ago. Picked it up with the intent to buy (even after Gilead didn't work out) but decided to read some first.

    I left it on the sale cart. Thought perhaps her writing style was done to fit the narrator in Gilead but H'keeping was the same style so it was pointless :(

    About McEwan, from my blog Andi .. I think a better word is creepy, although I've heard macabre used for him. Will be interested in what you think of Saturday.

    Suzz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!