Thursday, May 05, 2005

You can be your own cheap fortuneteller!

Women have an uncanny intuition about a number of things (not only women, but I am one and many of my readers are female, so hush men). Sometimes we call it "just a feeling" sometimes it's "the gut feeling." You know what I'm talking about...that nagging voice in your head and stomach that tells you exactly what's going to happen...normally when it's bad. Don't walk down that darkened alley. Don't pick up the phone and call...you'll regret it! Don't eat Aunt Leda's tuna melt!!!

How many of us would pay good money to get rid of the women's intuition at some point?? When it's screaming to run like hell from the red flags in the relationship or back out of a trip we've already bought the plane tickets for (happened to my cousin). How many times has it saved our ass or at least helped us avoid an embarrassing situation or kept us out of a blush-inducing mistake? There's a whole book written about the upside of fear and "the feeling"...the title escapes me, but I read it for an independent study my senior year of university.

If you think about it, we're really our own cheap psychic. We don't need Magic Eight-Balls or Ouija boards, or even shrinks. Most of the time we already know the answers, but we're too chicken-shit to listen. I am, anyway. Disagree if you will. Given the uncomfortable situation at work on Monday some things happened at work today that I knew were coming (I'm just glad it didn't revolve around ME like I thought it might). I didn't have to spend all day wondering and pondering and torturing myself over something that I won't mention here (because it's too personal and NO I'm not telling) because I already knew the answer deep down.

Shouldn't knowing 75% of the answers set us free?? Free from worry and waffling? Yeah, but does it?? Maybe I'm just anal and too flip-floppy and that's why I say, no, we're no more free because of gut feelings and intuition. We just spend more time hoping we're wrong and clinging to the improbable.

What say you about gut feelings? Are they accurate or are they self-fulfilling prophecies? Do we get what we expect and all that jazz? When has your gut cut in and made a difference?

17 comments:

  1. not a lady of course, can't be helped, but the gut is the pre-screener for all new folks. It's usually right. Of course for most of us it's often overridden by the reproductive organs. We are not rational in the ways we suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi, what happened? Sounds like something happened....

    Dena, on the edge of her seat

    ReplyDelete
  3. trick, is this something to do with the "seat" of the stomach?

    Andi, we're being taught to ignore gut reactions and chalk them up to irrationality. I think it's important to trust your gut, always and without question. If you end up wrong, so be it. But better wrong than in a dumpster somewhere.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's why I think we should all be "fixed" and live in asexual bliss. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Dena, and I thought of you and your situation outside the library with the aggressive homeless guy when I wrote the post. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. didn't they always tell us on tests to go with your "first instinct"? same thing, right? just experience telling your brain what the odds are. also called discernment and given by God Himself, so I shan't be discounting it anytime soon!!!
    Amen to your lack of typo repairs. People can read around them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I get those weird feelings a lot, but they never result in much of anything. I generally chalk it up to some kinda irrational nervousness. Actually, weird thing. I get them when I get outta the shower and I'm thinking about my day.
    I would say the only times I get them and something happens is 'cuz I actually know that something is going to go badly 'cuz I know myself - like the last CSA formal I was at was not pretty, and I knew it wouldn't be and why it wasn't gonna be, etc. Though those're kinda diff feelings. Those're feelings of dread and impending doom.

    But I think my women's intuition is broken... Though I suppose when Andy and I walked through NYC w/an open map you could say I thought we were gonna die... But we didn't. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andi-

    I don't exactly think it's Spider-Sense when it comes to Aunt Leda's tuna melt.

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if this counts as gut feelings, but I have really specific premonitions sometimes. Like when I was in high school, I used to see this pair of twins once in a blue moon. I thought one of them was cute. I was on the bus, bored one day, when I saw one and had this whole daydream about me liking one, but the other asking me out (Mind you, I didn't even know them personally.) And that summer, I met them and it happened! And there have been other cases of that. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Clack...that was hilarious, Cher. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, Tim, that might just be the smell. Doesn't take much in the way of ESP (not ESPN) to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andi, you and our book friends (who will remain nameless) really did a lot to convince me I had done the right thing that night. I actually felt GUILTY, even though I heard him scream at me and call me a fuckin bitch.

    I'm still surprised at how I reacted without thinking -- doing so went against everything I've learned about being good, helpful and polite.

    That guy was such a creep, I still feel freaked when I think of how he was looking at me before he approached my car.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had that experience, too, April. I have had several dreams that came true, etc. Your experience was freakier than any of mine, though! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand what you mean..about feeling guilty. Still, that gut reaction is usually right.. and sometimes you just have to screw PC'ness. Right on my keekboxing sista!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was the book you mentioned "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker? That was a really good book, with some amazing stories. He wrote a follow up caleed "Protecting the Gift" about keep out kids safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YESSS!!! That was it! Thanks so much because it was driving me batty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!