Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Reasons 448-666 zillion that I hate the library....

Yesterday was one of those "let Andi do everything" days at the 'brary. My supervisor makes no argument against the fact that she hates working the desk. She stays in her office and watches DVD's on her portable DVD player and frolicks around the internet all day. Or, if she wants to look legit, she lets work at the interlibrary loan desk pile up so that it takes all day to clear away.

Examples of her laziness:

Approx. 30 interlib. loan books came in since Friday. They all had to be processed and the patrons had to be called. I was left at the circ desk to hold things down on my own. Keep in mind, Monday is our busiest day. She offered to process the books and just let me call the patrons, but did it work that way? Nope. They sat there until I finally did them ALL. In between taking care of patrons and checking in/out, literally, hundreds of books. Oh, and I called all the fucking patrons, too. Oh, and all of the teen volunteers because boss lady is taking them to a 1:00 movie on Thursday.

The director (Snowflake's lov-er) is a moron of the most astonishing sort. While I was busy taking care of the ILL books, he came up and said, "What do you think about changing the name of the library?"

I laughed. Thought he was kidding. Thought, "This pissant can't really want to change the NAME OF THE LIBRARY after a month and a half on the job!" I laughed some more.

To my supreme disappointment and astonishment, he's serious! The library, like most, is named after a rich dead guy. A guy who still has hordes of family in town. Director-man thinks it would be titilating if we took the man's first initial out of the name of the library. Just to make it flow a little better.

If directors have nothing better to do than have the columns painted, work in the memorial garden, and think up ideas like changing the name of the library, I want that job. I want it now so I can be useless and hilariously moronic and bang the volunteers.

I'm told that I won't care so much about stupid people and injustice in the workplace as I age. I'm not convinced. I think I'll probably just become more bitter and start staging miniature explosions in my home.

On TV: Today Show book club.
Music: Hammers and saws next door. The neighbors are adding on.
Reading: Shit.
In my head: You don't want to know.

28 comments:

  1. *wonders if the library is named after the same person everything else in the town is named after*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Andi won't it be great to bang the volunteers????

    A noble and lofty goal me thinks....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll slowly turn into one of the people who does nothing but surf the internet at work.

    Just like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your head: Actually I do want to know... It's the main reason I tend to stalk this place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the G'ville library, Cher, so it's prolly not the family you're thinkin' about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph,
    I thought you'd rally with me on that one. I thought it was reasonable.

    Just to let my dorkness show: I built a SIM that looks just like Snowflake. I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fence,
    I try my best, but they won't let me sit still long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vex,
    You're too kind. I'll pop out some head in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Pop out some head.." Say what??

    ReplyDelete
  10. what did you say you were reading?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew you'd pick up on that one, Os.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't read anyyyyything, Clack! I'm in a slump.

    ReplyDelete
  13. UUUGGH! We HATE our bosses!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I work in a G'ville library! Although it's a Georgia G'ville library!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh-my-gosh! Don't you just love people in positions of authority? That has to be the best "my superior is a TOOL story" I've ever heard!
    Although if it does flow better...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Talk to big boss man and suggest that Snowflake change her real name to Snowflake. I mean it probably will flow better moaning her name whilst orgasming.

    Whaddya say?

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you could get them to change the name of the library to the Todd H. Pharris Shack O' Book Learnin' I would be forever in your debt.

    Or if they changed it to the Yournamehere library, the community would think they had some sort of ownership in it. Stupid bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let's have him name it after a true American hero--the Great and Mighty Os!

    ReplyDelete
  19. not to be a downer but i knew it would happen eventually....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Work wouldn't be the same without the boss hating, ams. Tonight I found out my boss will be taking over my night book discussion group. That hurts me to the core of my soul. She will somehow fuck up the whole thing. Probably watch DVD's through the meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amanda!!!! My other long lost sister!! Weird coincidences rock!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fleshydinkle,
    I'm blushing. That can't be the best tool story. Maybe runner up, but not best.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kikhwa, darling, I'm in total agreement. God, the mental image of him orgasming just absolutely revolts me. I feel the bile rising up all the way from my toenails.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Todd,
    When I read your post I laughed so hard I think I felt a little fart action. That *has* to be the best compliment you could ever receive. Your hilarity humbles me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Os,
    Let it be done. I think it flows quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ago,
    Which one? The renaming of the library or me staging explosions in my home?

    *packing the TNT*

    ReplyDelete
  27. ...you having to deal with fucking idiot male library directors who know/care dick all about libraries....and the explosions. libraries are fucked up places and it is not a relaxing job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!