Friday, June 24, 2005

Twinkie tag...

Heather (my twin) tagged me for this juicy little book lust exercise, and I'm happy to do it.

How many books do you own?:
Hundreds. Literally hundreds. They're in two large'ish bookcases in the living room, one jam-packed bookcase in my bedroom, more spilling out on the floor, and they're crammed into storage bins in closets and elsewhere, too. I love books, and I've done surprisingingly well cleaning some out in the last few years. I pat myself on the back.

Last book I bought: Plainsong, by Kent Haruf. I have little desire to read it aside from the fact that it's the group read for my next book discussion group. I gave $11.00 for it this morning and then this afternoon it showed up on the cart of new books to be shelved. Fuckers.

Last book I read: Charlie All Night. Love it! I brought home another of her books today: Welcome to Temptation. It's a summer lovefest to get me out of my slump.

Five books that mean a lot to me:

1) The Hours, by Michael Cunningham - A poignant, moving, emotional ride. I think you need to be a woman to truly appreciate it.

2) The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant - Another one whose greatness is amplified if you're full of estrogen. All the period talk in the beginning would have Os out for the count in 5.4 seconds.

3) The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo - This very simple story helped pull me out of one of the longest and most horrible fuck-ups of my life. The message is simple: follow your dreams and do what really makes you happy. Another good one by Coehlo is The Valkyries.

4) The Beauty Myth, by Naomi Wolf - Helped make me more comfortable in my own skin, and it inspired me to start writing again.

5) Good in Bed, by Jennifer Weiner - And her other book, In Her Shoes, too. I know, that's cheating. Weiner made me realize that I was a book snob...especially when it came to chick lit. which also led back to me writing more and thinking outside my own preconceived ideas. She's hella funny, too.

I could go on and on and on about the big nasty bunch of classics I love, but I'll stick with contemporary. And this is a very small sampling of my contemporary faves, too. Another short list of faves:

The Secret History (Tart)
What I Loved (Hustvedt)
The Robber Bride (Atwood)
The Blindfold (Hustvedt)
Pope Joan (Cross)
....and on and on and on to eternity.

My name is Andi and I'm a bibliophile.

22 comments:

  1. Twinkie tag--bummed that didn't turn out like I expected...

    A bibliophile, huh? Do you have to register with the state or the police or anybody like that? Is there a Bibliophiles Anonymous that you can get in touch with?

    Don't tag me with this one. It would be embarassingly full of one or two word answers like huh?, none, zero. You get the idea. If you do it with music, however...

    "This very simple story helped pull me out of one of the longest and most horrible fuck-ups of my life." You realize that invites questions. I know we'll probably never get to hear any stories, but is there a watered-down short version with no names???

    Have a good weekend! Read hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep saying "have a good weekend" on everyone's blog. Are you gone for the weekend?? Did you inform us ahead of time and get us to sign your permission slip? Noooo! You're not going anywhere young man.

    How's that for avoiding the issue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You avoid questions like Fred Astaire danced the fuckin' waltz. Yet another reason to admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Todd! I'm deeply touched, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. Someday I'll spill the gory beans, but now is not the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to go book shopping this weekend. I go gaga over period talk so The Red Tent will definately be in my shopping cart.

    Could you recommend a really good hornball book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez--I just thought I was being polite! No, I'm not going anywhere.

    Nice tap dance. But seriously...

    I haven't been referred to as "young man" in a really long time. Thank you!

    And I really do hope ya'll (y'all ?--I seem to remember asking about this a few months ago) have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answers Andi! I forgot about The Red Tent. That was a great book and one I would like to reread at some point. Also Weiner, who like you, made me realize that I am a book snob. I'm getting better though, since I just finished a Nora Roberts and instead of cowering my head in shame and denying all knowledge of the fact, I proudly proclaimed it on my blog! Yikes, what would my profs think!!

    Os: As a Southerner I have always said y'all. Some people down here say y'alls and y'allses which seems redundant to me. Isn't it already plural?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kikhwa,
    If you want full-blown (no pun intended) erotica go for Exit to Eden, by Anne Rice. If you want romancey fun pick up Bet Me, by Jennifer Crusie. For romance with a story and less sex pick up Good in Bed, by Jennifer Weiner. I'm a hotbed of recommendations, so I'll gladly book-talk you up any time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, good! I look forward to your comments.

    And, to really answer your question, when I lived in NC I taught high school. I loved my students, but I hated the high school teacher experience in general. To the point that it gave me stress headaches and amplified some depression I was dealing with by 1 zillion. The Alchemist gave me a push to ditch it even though it was a solid job and the best possibility for me in the area where I lived. Suchhhh a hard decision, but it was ultimately the right one.

    Definitely "y'all." Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather,
    Former book snobs unite! I'm proud of myself for proclaiming my need for a romance novel unabashedly. Book snobs be damned! (And I almost just typed book nobs...*red face*)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally understand the teaching situation. I had one HS job in particular that made my life absolutely miserable. Only stayed there one year. Moving to a different town was the best thing I had ever done. Sorry about your experience. I admire those who are teachers today in the public schools. I loved it, and was good at it, but could never go back now--"education" seems to have taken a back seat in schools these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about Plainsong. It's slow going at the beginning which probably explains why I never got past page 60 or so. Well the colors on the book cover are soothing at least.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Plainsong was a decent book. I liked it quite a bit; sorta reminded me of the town I grew up in ... sorta grey and sad with nothing really going on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I assure you that I have a penis and that I thoroughly enjoyed the hours. Maybe because I'd just read Mrs. Dalloway. Either way that book was boss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Os,
    That one school was traumatic enough to make me neverrrr want to go back. Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a soothering cover. I'll start it sometime before next month this time. In the meantime, trashy romance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cincy,
    Sounds very familiar. I'm livin' in that town as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Flesh,
    You're my new hero!! I love a penis that can appreciate The Hours. You're so in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Niiiiice! I enjoyed reading your list. And now I have some books on my reading list, thanks to you!

    The Red Tent
    The Alchemist.

    I'm off to reserve them on my library's website... la lala lala....


    :) thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Let me know what you think of them, Mo!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's a whole bk written about a female pope who never e... Wait. There's a whole bk written on a fake marriage between Jesus and Mary Magdelene... Why am I acting surprised???

    ReplyDelete
  22. Surprised about what?? I don't get what you're stabbing at exactly. My taste?? What brought on this lil rant?

    All I can tell you: it's FICTION. And you don't have to read it if it irks you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!