Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Book Orgy

I got the reading lists for my graduate classes! I'm not including the books for Research Methods since they're all moldy scholarly boring books that no one would buy unless they're taking Research Methods.

Oral Tradition and Modern Fantasy for Children (aka, fun and fairy tales forAndi)

1. Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson
2. Fade, by Robert Cormier
3. Folk and Fairy Tales, by Martin Hallet
4. Off With Their Heads!, by Maria Tatar
5. Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, by J.M. Barrie
6. Skellig, by David Almond (already read it)
7. Struwwelpeter (translation), by Heinrich Hoffman
8. The Witches, by Roald Dahl (on my TBR)

Contemporary Literature

1. Atonement, by Ian McEwan (on my TBR, partially read)
2. England, England, by Julian Barnes
3. London Fields, by Martin Amis
4. Original Bliss, by A.L. Kennedy
5. Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, by Roddy Doyle
6. Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro (on my wishlist)
7. Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie (on my TBR, partially read)
8. Sweet-Shop Owner, by Graham Swift
9. Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh (on my wishlist)
10. White Teeth, by Zadie Smith (on my wishlist)
11. Winshaw Legacy, by Jonathan Coe

Sooo many of both of these lists are things I've wanted on my own, so I'mexcited to have the push to finish them! Looks like my TBR will be a tad lighterafter these courses. Yayy!

Note: TBR stands for "to be read" referring to the pile of books I have on the premises but haven't read yet.

10 comments:

  1. Oh what a gluttonous feast of words!! You are making me want to go back to school!

    I haven't read anything on your lists, so you will have to tell me what's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok now I want to go back too. I'm so jealous!!! That's it, I'm stealing your list and going to teach myself LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I notice on your contemp. list that there is only one woman listed! What about Margaret Atwood and other great female writers like her? Damn Harold-Bloom-Humpin-Penis-Lovin-John-Updike-Lustin-WASPS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its always nice to meet someone else who has a huge TBR going. Good luck with it. I haven't gotten to the books that were added six months ago yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather and Amy,
    Y'all come along! We'll make it a book party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda,
    I know..I was disappointed at the lack of estrogen. At least Zadie Smith managed to weasel her way in. I was surprised at that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thro,
    I would say the oldest book on my TBR probably dates back 8 or 10 years. Scary, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dena,
    I figured the fairy tale'ness would throw you over into orgasmic bliss.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!