Thursday, July 07, 2005

Welcome to hell....



As much as I love teaching, tonight's class, which begins the second summer session, was what I would imagine castration (without anesthesia) to be.

The college is required to offer a developmental reading class at night. Last session's class was a mere five women, and we had a blast. They were receptive, bright, willing to discuss, funny, touching. Up to this point I've had one person enrolled for summer II, and one one more added at the last minute. Another signed up for a reading lab which is a TBR (time at my discretion), so I'll ask that student to join our little group. I was really hoping that this smaller group would be as receptive as the first, but it looks like I'm not going to be that lucky.

My two students, T and J, present their own respective challenges. J is Korean, speaks very little English, and is deaf. T has a backwoods bad attitude that walks 7 feet in front of her. I think J will be OK, but I have serious doubts about T. I almost hope she drops already.

To begin class tonight, I went through my usual song and dance. We discussed the syllabus, what's expected in the course, my peeves, etc. I'm always quick to tell my students, "This is a reading class, so expect to read. A LOT!" I started explaining some of the material, attempted to discuss some of the examples with them. Not much response. OK. Whatever. I called on T to read a very short paragraph--a grand total of approximately 5 sentences--and she avoided eye contact and said in a whippishly bitchy way, "I think I'll let you do it this time." My eyebrows shot up like a weenus in a whore house and I promptly told her to be prepared to read next class period. It's often uncomfortable at first, but it's ultimately one of the most helpful things we do. Her attitude is going to be a huge hindrance.

This is going to be the longest 5 weeks ever, and I have a feeling I'll really have to earn my money this time.

In other school-related news, I signed up for a graduate course that starts next week: Narrative Theory. I'm a theory nut, but now that I'm signed up I'm having second thoughts about this one. The narratology websites I've been reading look pretty dull, and I think I might want to finish my last summer of relative freedom off with some more slothfulness. We'll see. I have to cough up $517...or not...within the next couple of days.

14 comments:

  1. T reminds me of the one-legged white trash girl Amy Pohler plays on Saturday Night Live. "I'm hot as hell and I rock it on one leg. Yeah, I farted. Jealous?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! Amy Pohler is a goddess. She might even compete for lesbian wife. It'd actually be a catfight between Amy and Tina Fey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tivo SNL just to watch "Weekend Update." I love Tina and Amy. Thank god that smirking jackass Jimmy Fallon left the show to fail miserably in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I liked Jimmy in all his goofy dorkiness. I'm sure he was googling tight mouse ears, but he was endearing anyway, dadgummit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ... sounds like T is straight outta Ohio! I can't even fathom the nerve of refusing to do something in a class when asked by my prof! Maybe you should find a short NASCAR article; I'll bet she'd read that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lmao, Cincy. Yeah, you're probably right about the NASCAR. I can't imagine not doing something a prof requested either. My nuts aren't that big I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how old is this genius? probably she can't read, which is the sad truth of it. hopefully you'll be able to handle her. why do people bother taking classes like this if they don't intend to do what they're supposed to in it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nah, she can read. She'll do the exercises on her own (mostly) but she won't read aloud. She's gun shy. I'll have to break her of this but I dunno how. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck Andi, with this bunch. Maybe you should sick the Dark Lady on her. I think she would frighten me into reading aloud. I always hated reading aloud in class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jerk, i totally thought i had missed your HNT...lost my head there for a minute.

    ok now i go read post.

    (i don't really think you are a jerk)

    ReplyDelete
  11. even being one of the biggest losers in my high school, which isn't really that bad NOW cause i have good stories...granted it did force therapy but aside from that..i always LOVED reading out loud...reading and writing were two of the only school things i was ever good at. and it is ONLY my english teachers i remember from school.
    i would love to be in your class!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i didn't go onto university..did some college though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather,
    I didn't particularly like it either, but I've found that practice makes perfect (cliche o'the day).

    We have some fun selections in our text, so it takes some of the stress off, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Corinna,
    Would love to have you in my class! Enthusiastic (or at least mildly interested) students make my day. Come take my fall English class! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!