Sunday, August 14, 2005

Laziness and Book Talk

I finally cleaned my fishtank after a week of putting it off. I realize this isn't the sort of snappy detail that's going to grab most readers, but it's all I've done today besides eat a couple of donuts for breakfast and finish Eat Cake, by Jeanne Ray. I had a delicious night's sleep: 11PM to 9:40 this morning. It's almost unheard of for me to sleep past 8AM, especially with the neighbors' ongoing construction, but miracles do happen occasionally.

Eat Cake was cute, but nothing to write home about. It's about a woman whose hubby loses his job, her estranged father moves in with her family, her daughter is a typical bitchy teen, and she starts baking cakes to save the family's livelihood. Yay. Sweet, empty of heavy messages, and entertaining enough to turn over a few hours.

Went to the library yesterday to return Amadeus and I picked up The Sixteen Pleasures, by some guy (looking for the book)...Robert Hellenga. Reference Diva assures me that it's one of the best examples of a man writing from a woman's perspective. I'll be interested to see if it lives up to Michael Cunningham's stunning The Hours, my favorite man-writes-as-woman book eva!

This afternoon it looks like comfort movies abound. USA is playing Bring it On, Bring it On Again, and then...tadaaa...Coyote Ugly. None as good as Resident Evil or Deep Blue Sea, but they'll do in a pinch.

TV: Bring it On
CD of choice: Afterglow...Sarah McLachlan

In my head: Sunshine and daisies.

8 comments:

  1. Speaking of Bring it On, a guy I knew in town actually graduated from Compton High School. I asked him if the cheerleaders were as hot as the Gabriele Union-led squad in that film, and he said simply "No. They weren't as hot."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep Blue Sea was on last night, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you are relaxing before the madness of Grad School begins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not surprised, Todd. Cheerleaders are never as hot as in the movies.

    Os,
    Damn! How did I miss it?? Oh, sinus meds. That explains it.

    Amanda,
    Much relaxation. The next couple of weeks are filling up fast, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man that sounds like an awesome day. My hubby likes Bring it on, and not for the obvious reasons, he loves chick flicks. Too funny. Your day would be perfect if they were showing Anacondas. I catch that alot on the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MrsG,
    Your hubby sounds like a supremely good man. And it's always nice to see a fellow Dallasite. Even though I'm from NE of Dallas..in the sticks, I still consider myself a Dallasite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I totally watched (and blogged about) those movies on USA! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!