Sunday, February 19, 2006

Another lonely day and no one here but me...


I would make a great hermit. I realized today that I spend a LOT of time alone in my bedroom...and not in the fun way. I feel kind of bad that I only really see my mom a) in passing b) at meals. Most of the time I stay holed up in my bedroom because it's where my books are, my school stuff, my research materials, my desk, my laptop (stroke stroke). My work and my fun are contained in this one microcosm of bookish goodness. Although, to be fair to the CD's and DVD's and 27" TV, they're in here too and are used religiously.

I've decided I stay tucked away because I talk ALL THE TIME. By the nature of my work nowadays, I'm more or less a professional talker. Even more than I'm a professional reader/writer. If I'm not teaching something or tutoring something or bullshitting with professors and my fellow grad students I'm at home in my little hobbit hole. Sometimes I come home at night and I can literally barely speak from all the strain. Or sometimes whatever does leak out of my mouth against my will is full of venom, so I just come to my room.

I bet baristas don't drink much coffee at home. I bet gynecologists don't dive for the pussy every night. I bet construction workers don't play with linkin' logs.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just cast away and I am lost at sea oh
Another lonely day and no one here but me oh
More loneliness than any man could bare
Rescue me before I fall into despair

I send an S.O.S. to the world
I send an S.O.S. to the world
I hope that someone gets my
I hope that someone gets my
I hope that someone gets my
Message in a bottle
Message in a bottle
Heyy

Note: I am in no way sending out a cry for help. Stay the fuck away or you'll lose a limb. It just happens to be the John Mayer song playing right now.

And another note: Click on ole Hay-seuss up there for the full-sized PostSecret. It's my favorite from this week's batch. Comforting, eh?

TV: Miranda Lambert (she's hot)..."Kerosene"
In my head: Victory.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that dog pic below was frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again... you took the words right out of my keyboard. I am VERY social at work and at school. I talk, I blab, I listen. When I get home I talk and blab with a six-year-old. When I get the chance for quiet or a vacation I just want book, coffee, and computer and I'm just fine in my hobbity hole of bookish seclusion....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    Yay for recreational reclusity! I think needs its own dictionary entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you said "dive for pussy"...hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That I did, Ago-go. I'm pretty proud of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!