Friday, May 26, 2006

A quick bite...

I got the grade back on my Ghost World presentation! I did the presentation yesterday. It was a 20 minute literary discussion on one chapter of the graphic novel, then we watched the film, and we concluded with a 20 minute discussion of the adaptation from page to screen. Everyone was enthusiastic about the topic, and few people had any experience with graphic novels, so it was a fruitful discussion and I got to show off a bit. The prof talked to me after class about his new interest in the topic thanks to my response papers I've been writing and my presentation. Today he took it upon himself to tell the entire class about his new interest in graphic novels thanks to yours truly.

Can we say "recommendation letter?"

Say it together now!

In the end, I got an A+ on the presentation. I never realized there would still be A+'s in grad school, but I think I can certainly respect and accept that grade.

Listening: "The Difficult Kind"...Sheryl Crow

19 comments:

  1. That is so cool. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! *sniff* I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you dahlings. *bow*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, congrats!

    We're thinking about going to the movie at 2:50 this afternoon. I'm calling you right now, but just in case you get this first, give me a call or an email and let me know if that's cool with you. :) I figured we could go earlier so we'll have plenty of time to take over the pool and eat kalamata meatballs afterward. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NICE! A+'s ROCK and so do you Andi. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!!
    You should be really proud, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quit bowing! You're wasting time! See my previous comments. Excellent work. Ghost World rocks on every possible level including the one you added to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale, Ghost World does rock on every conceivable level. I really want to see his newest project with Terry Zwigoff: Art School Confidential.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In grad school, the recommendations are worth more than the grades. Not that it matters, in this case, for you got both.

    I'm kinda curious about scholarly interest in graphic novels. I can imagine curricula devloped for them in media or communications studies. I'd be kinda interested what such a study would look like in an English department.

    ReplyDelete
  11. X,
    The study of graphic novels is wide and varied. Personally, I'm interested in constructions of adolescence in graphic narrative (my thesis) and after this mini term the adaptation of graphic narrative to screen. Since both are visual media it's interesting to see how how graphic narrative makes the jump...especially since the communication of time and space are so radically different from film.

    A good amount of English scholars looking into graphic narrative look at the structure itself and how that dictates the communication of a story, and many are studying multi-ethnic graphic narrative, as it seems a genre that attracts artist/authors from a variety of backgrounds and the stories are largely autobiographical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andi, you blow me. Away. You blow me away. Love your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, now I'm blushing Noni. I fear my brain is but an inkling of the genius you possess.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!