Monday, June 12, 2006

Happy Belated Birthday, Hugh! (and one other thing)

Before I start gushing about Hugh, I noticed that I was quoted at Blogs with a Face...a part of the previous post. Go here to check it out. Now I'm glad I didn't delete that post. I had an urge, but I squelched it!

I'm a horrible, horrible fangirl. I forgot that yesterday was Hugh Laurie's birthday, and it's an offense for which I should be flogged in the middle of town. So, I'm obliged to make up for it today. In all honesty, as much as I go on about flaming panties and such, I admire Hugh Laurie greatly for his views on life, humor, and ability in the realm of acting, as well as writing and his musical abilities. He's a very talented man.


  • He went to Eton and Cambridge
  • Got a degree in anthropology
  • Has written 2 novels: The Gun Seller and Paper Soldiers (not yet released)
  • Has recorded a number of audiobooks including...get ready...GREAT EXPECTATIONS! That's practically one degree of separation given that I AM the modern day Estella! Not so much, but she's my bloggy namesake--same difference.
  • He appeared in Annie Lennox's fantastic video "Walking On Broken Glass"
  • He was amazing in Blackadder...have you seen him as Prince George?? Brilliant comedian. Not to mention the Wooster and Jeeves stuff. And A Bit of Fry and Laurie. Genius.
  • He digs motorcycles (and looks good on one if I do say so myself)
  • He's 6'2.5" tall
  • Scruffy...need I say more?
  • Self-deprecating
  • Plagued by depression (has resorted to St. John's Wort...*Andi raises guilty hand to go along with Hugh*)
  • He plays the piano and guitar, as well as composing music, and he's even recorded some. Watching him play is heavenly (but I'm a sucker for men with instruments)
  • Wicked smart

Fabulous Hugh quotes:

On himself:

“I never was someone who was at ease with happiness.”

In regards to House:

“Perfection is intensely annoying. Audiences were ready for a character who didn't obey the usual pieties of modern life.”

“I'm rather enjoying the whole process of reinvention, ... To be able to pretend to be something that I'm frankly not is very liberating and exciting.”

“There's the clown in House, there's an adolescent in him, a child, a playful side. There's also a tormented self-destroyer as well. I get the best of all possible worlds.”

“I find it preposterous. I can see in some ways I am playing a sexy character. The idea of a damaged genius is an interesting, intriguing character, but it has nothing to do with me . . . I think whoever is playing this role would be in the position I am now.”

On the House writers:

“They, all of them, work incredibly hard to make me seem clever and heroic, neither of which I am.”

On using an American accent:

"The problem is one part of the brain is doing it, and the other part is listening all the time. Something like 'coronary artery' gives me a nosebleed. I have to lie down in a dark room for about 20 minutes."

Producer Katie Jacobs on Hugh Laurie:

“Every day at about four or five o’clock, Hugh’s sitting on the kerb completely despondent. He’s miserable no matter what he does. Never thinks he’s good enough, never thinks he’s got it right.”

Listening: "Dancing in the Dark"...Pete Yorn (cover, obviously)

12 comments:

  1. You are obsessed, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! And if you'd watch the show you'd be right here with me in the obsession!!

    Two episodes, tomorrow night. 7-9! And they're just restarting season 2, so it's perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start watching this show. I should probably start watching TV in general first, however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched a couple of episodes during slowdowns on MNF. I was never a fan. But hey! Different folks for different strokes, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to chastise you publicly for missing his birthday, but I didn't get over here in time. Damn.

    "...but I'm a sucker for men with instruments..."--my bone and I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yet another gemini!
    i just found out today i share my birthday with the trump man!

    im watching in re-runs now and borrowed season one!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elise, let House be a gateway drug. Actually, let House be your one and only TV indulgence. I'd be glad to bring the DVD's over. :D

    X., it helps to be 20-40, female, and find jerks with hearts of gold interesting. :D

    *bows to the almight Os* Your (bass) bone is the king of instruments.

    Oooh, Greeplicious, good thing you don't share his taste for comb-overs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you might have a problem, you know that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Hugh!!! Beautiful tribute, I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew you could appreciate it, Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!