Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Goin's-On and Pics

It's been a whirlwind few days chock full of school stuff and merriment. Friday's orientation was uneventful. Pretty much par for the course from last year. I was MUCH better at the ice breaker name game thing we always have to play. It's great to not be the new person. After a mixer at Graduate Director's house we all had libations and dancing at Cyn's house. Good times were had by most.

Yesterday Elise and I made a last-minute shopping trip in the lateish afternoon to buy up stuff for the office. We got cute stuff and functional stuff and whatnot. Today was a trip to Dallas to get the most functional of functional things--a refrigerator! We went to the office after shopping and lunch at the Clay Pit to set up. Which leads me to the pics!


Yes, we have a Jesus clock. A last supper clock to be precise. The sequence we're teaching in our English classes focuses on the intersection of religious belief and campus life, so we have various relics sitting around--some buddhas and stuff.


This is my side of the office. Notice the red lamp, which officially qualifies our office as the university "red light district." Now if I could only find a pole.


The coolest poster in the whole damn town. I bought this "READ" poster featuring Ani DiFranco for Elise for her birthday this year. Looks right at home with our red candy bowl full of sugar free candy, doesn't it? You can also see the bottom of one of our buddhas on the top of the shelves. He's holding a pink tea light!


The full view. You can just see the edge of our kitchen area on the far right (front) with our fridge and microwave stacked up. We stole that lovely fan from the writing center, and Elise's desk is the one nearest the bookshelves. She was nice enough to provide the two Salvador Dali prints that are on the top of the shelves, as well as two really cool prints over her desk. I will be taking a nicely framed Dave Matthews Band poster tomorrow to hang near my desk. Overall it turned out much more spacious than we anticipated. It shall be known simply as "the fun girl office."

I'm actually getting pretty excited about this thesis thing, as well as my classes (teaching and taking). I was originally scheduled to teach one Eng 101 class, but they gave me a second at the last minute. I'll be teaching at 11 and 2 (MWF) with office hours in the middle. Should be able to get a good bit of work done. Yay!

For now, I must go put the finishing touches on my syllabi for tomorrow. Expect my next blog post to originate from my very cool office. *squeeee*

Listening: The Primetime Emmys

25 comments:

  1. Our office is awesome.

    I just finished tweaking my syllabus. I still don't want the semester to start yet, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want your red lamp, Andi. That is sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a guy wearing a zoot suit and fedora to stand next to the red lamp and flip a quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neato. Where'd you get the cool lamp?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elise, I'm pretty ready now. I feel the motivation flowing back in.

    Suzz, thanks!!! Elise and I saw it and she said, "Yeah, you have to buy it."

    X, GREAT idea!!! Zoot suits are the kewlest.

    Nancy, that's a Target find! Solid plastic and cute as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo-hoo! You're like a big girl now! Do good, and don't screw up the poor freshmen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the READ poster!!! Where'd you find that gem??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Os, but the screwing them up is the fun part!

    Les, I got that goodie at the American Library Association website. They have a ton of cool posters, bookmarks, etc. with all sorts of celebs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the poster! I didn't know you could buy those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bookgirl, check out the ALA website! I'm sure you'll find somethin' you like. They have a ton of great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally rockin' office girls! Love the lamp. LOVE the Read poster. Love it all! Looks like a fun place to work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and sorry I missed you last night! I had left the puter to go eat! :(

    Especially since I need to talk with you about that...um...assignment you gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That READ poster is fantastic. Good gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I'm officially sooo jealous.

    I wanna go to college!!! *sulks*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow. I was just in Target on Saturday and didn't see it. I'm going back (I bought new sheets and a blankie, though, so it wasn't a worthless trip). Thanks, Andi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey, I just thought of something, not ony do you need a fuzzy, felt, fuscha Virgin Mary, how about a picture of Hugh Laurie on your desk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Heatheroo! It's serving us well so far. I got a LOT done today. It's a nice place to kick back and get some work done.

    Thanks, Carl! I lurv it!

    LOL, GG. It does have its good parts.

    No problem, Nancy! I hope you find one!

    FEM! You're brilliant. I'll get right on that Hugh Laurie thing.

    Thanks, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yayyyy to cool new offices! I love it Andi. Setting up a new space is always so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet office. If you'd kick elise out, you'd have more room. Just joking. Enjoy your year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Funky, it's not equal to your coolest of cubicles yet, but it's on the way!

    Kat, hmmmm, that's an idea! (kidding, Elise)

    ReplyDelete
  21. suh-weet office! cozy with all the essentials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bwaaah! They didn't have the red lamp at my Target. Not that I need a lamp, but, you know. It's cute. So, I bought a different one. I have no idea where to put it but it means I have to throw at least one lamp away. Maybe the one that doesn't work? I don't know . . .

    Oh, gosh yes. Get a pic of Hugh on that desk, pronto. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, LE! We like it!

    Awww, bummer Nancy. But glad you found something else cute! Target is a crackhouse for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. True, so true. Very addictive, that Target.

    I'll try to take a pic of my lamp and load it to my blog at the first opportunity. I've offered a *working* lamp to my eldest. He said, "I'll take it" (and then asked for a free haircut when he comes home - he's so broke). I love being able to dump stuff on my kid, now that he's moved into an apartment. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!