Friday, August 18, 2006

Musical Spotlight: Hold Onto Your Mouse

As you all probably know from reading the little "Listening" feature at the butt-end of all my posts, I like music. I like a lot of different music. I like Beethoven and Johnny Cash and The Rolling Stones and Samuel Barber and Annie Lennox. I could list for days, but I won't put you through that. Lately I've discovered a whole nest of indie and obscure artists that I really enjoy, so I thought I'd do a bit of pimpin'.

In fact, one of the main reasons that I like MySpace is because most bands/artists I like have a page I can check out for tour dates, new developments in regard to albums, etc. As I pimp, you can click on the name of the band or artist to visit their MySpace page where they will have music uploaded for your listening pleasure.



This first one is for the Dallasites (or surrounding-area-ites). My friend Goose (Dan) is a member of a band that's blowing up in DFW right now:
Hardin Sweaty and the Ready to Go. These fuckers are crazy, and I mean that with love. Their album Elephant Gun is ready to be had, and I urge you to have it. In fact, if you're in the Dallas area and looking for a good time, join a group of us at Club Dada in Deep Ellum for Mixtapes and Baby Fights (August 22) featuring the ever-lovely Hardin Sweaty and other bands that I'm sure are lovely but that I'm not invested in. I'll even buy you a buttery nipple (or a beer) if you mention this blog (or I would in theory..if I had $$$).

Cary Brothers is another new favorite. Note: one guy--not brothers. His song, "Ride" is on super-fantastic-every-five-minutes-repeat on the Andi-puter. You can stream it at MySpace. Click, click! You won't be sorry. I can't believe I'm about to type this because it's stupid. But so true. Oh God. I'm gonna say it. "Ride" is like being in love. It conjures up this weird tingly feeling in my tummy that reminds me of driving with my windows down and lust. Mmm, mmm good. Incidentally, his new video for "Ride" premieres here today. Go give it a watch. Zach Braff directed it, and I haven't gotten to see it yet thanks to my crappy dial-up.

This could be the best one. I heard it less than 24 hours ago, and I guarantee you I've probably listened to THE song 23 times. Drum roll....."Mexico" by Jump Little Children.

I generally measure the atmosphere of my day by the rock star I'd most like to be. On angsty days it's generally Amy Lee, but on happy fun days it's Kat Auster of Majorette. As luck would have it, you can stream my two favorite songs on their page: "Girl Like Me" and "Disco in the Cold." I'll be SO glad when they get an album out. I'll shimmy to it endlessly.

While that only begins to touch the listening love that I have for a multitude of artists at the moment, that's all I'm givin' ya right now, but be sure that I'll be back with more soon!

Listening: "Mexico"

10 comments:

  1. Okay, Jump Little Children are officially my new favourite band. Thye remind me a little of Fountains of Wayne, (think Valley Winter Song) only the singer has an even yummier voice. It makes me want to listen to it with my eyes closed, you know what I mean?

    Bands discovered by me (although probably known to the rest of the world) through MySpace include Anberlin, (http://www.myspace.com/anberlin) who I adore, and three great bands local to me, Gem, who are heavier than my usual but still fab (http://www.myspace.com/gemband), the rock'n'roll goodness of Flukestar, guitarist of which Henry has a crush on one of my best friends, (http://www.myspace.com/flukestar)
    and some excellent jazz, (and I hate jazz) from Better than Sax, ( http://www.myspace.com/betterthansax1) I know Greg and Rob personlly, they are very nice blokes. Talented too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought it said, Jump Little Chicken.

    I was going to ask you, how high?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Andi! I have a very diverse musical pallet myself. I can't wait to check all of these out! I hate myspace but it is good for bands/music

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so there for Hardin Sweaty's show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I loved Mexico. Great song!

    Jump Little Children is supposed to be coming to a club near here in September. Doubt I would feel like going, but it would have been very cool!

    Also, if you like Zach, Joshua -his brother- wrote a book called The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacon Green that was really good. Very funny guy; must run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harden Sweaty? I haven't discovered a new band in forever. I need to get speakers for my computer; everything sounds crappy on these tiny built-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't they great, GG? Not terribly familiar with Fountains of Wayne (oohhh, yes I am, just remembered). Jump Little Children singer definitely has a yummier voice. They were my falling asleep music last night.

    Thanks for the tips! I'll check those out!

    Chicken, that would be the BEST band name. I'm going to start a band just to use that name.

    Funky, I hope ya like 'em!!!

    ELISE IS HOME!!!! Yes, we're SOO there. It's gonna be fun.

    Heatheroo, I thought you'd like Mexico. :) And I wish they'd come here!!! Maybe someday.

    Zach is promoting Joshua's book on his blog, and now that I've seen the cover I remember seeing it in the store. Must try it!!! And maybe I'll be able to try Hugh Laurie's book again SOMEDAY. Right now it's on loan to another library.

    Todd, Hardin Sweaty. lol Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andi, I found The Gun Seller at B&N for $5.98. I was SO tickled to find it that cheap. I need to read it. Soon. I will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW you lucky girl! I've never seen it in a bookstore I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I see u like Majorette!
    check out the Fan Site!!
    http://www.majorettefansite.com.ar
    byeee!
    july(from argentina)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!