Wednesday, August 02, 2006

One book....

Tagged by BookGirl...

1. One book that changed your life.
Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. I can honestly say this one ushered me into my hard-on for classics. Without it, and the teacher that taught it, I probably wouldn't be working on my MA or planning a PhD, and Estella's Revenge certainly never would've been born. Amazing how the books we read when we're young can shape our lives.

2. One book that you've read more than once.
Their Eyes Were Watching God (and an undetermined amount of others including Gatsby, and fairy tale retellings).

3. One book you'd want on a desert island.

The Lord of the Rings--long, plenty to think about, and I just lurv it.

4. One book that made you laugh.

The Sex Lives of Cannibals, by J. Maarten Troost. Because there's nothing quite as funny as real mishaps on a deserted island in the south pacific. Can't wait to read his newest book, Getting Stoned with Savages.

5. One book that made you cry.
The Kite Runner. It was a book I probably would never have picked up if it weren't for online book groups and my library discussion group. I bawled reading that book, and I would read it again in a heartbeat.

6. One book that you wish had been written.
A sequel to What I Loved, by Siri Hustvedt. I just want more, although more is probably not in the cards and probably wouldn't satisfy me even if it did exist.

7. One book that you wish had never been written.
That damn sequel to Gone with the Wind.

8. One book you're currently reading.

The Human Stain, by Philip Roth.

9. One book you've been meaning to read.

I probably have 300 books I haven't read yet. High on the list is The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. His Dark Materials is an amazing series that I'd recommend to EVERYONE.

10. Now tag five people.
Charles, Elise, Jeremy, Heather F., and Amanda

14 comments:

  1. Yay. I now have something to blog about. Perhaps a little bit later, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!

    I finished reading my crap for tomorrow and I'll need to do the response in the morning. Nothing like procrastination. I'm about to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably won't see much of me on Thursday. I crashed out early on Wed. night due to the alcohol consumption--it just made me really tired and not at all interested in reading 100 pages of Hawthorne criticism.

    So that means I'll be holed up in the "Think Tank" all day, scrambling to get things done in order to not disappoint Charles.

    I've been reading since before 5 am. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't get much done either, so I'll be on the computer all morning doing shit for the website, and I WILL get it online today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Human Stain recently. I think I enjoyed it. Not formulaic, and very believable. Complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend just gave me The Kite Runner to read on holidays - may not be the best choice if Im gonna end up bawling in public! thanks for the warning

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to read the kite runner but now I'm afraid. I need a happy read these days. Your post reminds me that I need to read more..

    BTW, somewhat unrelated, my first experience with Dickens was reading a tale of two cities during my freshman year of high school. I hated it. So when we were supposed to read great expectations my sophomore year, i prepared to slug through another awful (in my opinion) book. Imagine my surprise when I fell in love and read it twice through before the class finished our unit on it (I'm a nerd, I read P&P three times through while we did that in class too). Oh, the classics, how i love 'em (except for tale of two cities)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoorah! Finally I get tagged with this one! I've been itching to do it. Will be up soon.

    Great answers by the way. I've been meaning to read some Pullman as well. And to try Lord of the Rings again. Loved the Hobbit. Couldn't get into the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rob, glad to hear you liked it. I'm about halfway through it at the moment and can't wait to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMS, no problem! The crying is almost a certainty.

    Kitty, it turns out ok in the end (as most books do), but there are definitely rocky crying jags along the way. Read at your own risk (but DO read it someday because it's an amazing book).

    Thanks for sharing your Dickens story. I actually loved A Tale of Two Cities. Not while I was reading it, but afterwards I marveled. However, nothing holds a candle to Great Expectations.

    Heather, put Pullman atop the list. I think you will LOVE the series and probably race through it just like I did (with the exception of the last book because a] no time b] don't want it to END!). Can't wait to read your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You haven't read The Amber Spyglass?! Ridiculous!
    Then again, I have a friend who read Northern Lights, (oh hang on, isn't it called something else in America. Well, whatever, the first one), and doesn't want to read the others, loon that she is. Tut tut.

    GG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought Kama Sutra changed your life.

    In fact, lets read it again right now.



    Naked.
    :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm. I've only read 1 of the books listed here. How illiterate am I?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I emailed you about a Dallas Writers' Group on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!