Friday, September 01, 2006

It can only get better (I hope)....

Yesterday had to be one of the most hellish days I've had in a while. Nothing went my way it seemed (still seems).

I woke up with a mind-numbing headache that kept me in the prone position all day praying for a quick, decisive death. I avoided taking the magic pills (Tylenol Allergy Sinus) because they knock me flat on my ass, and I wanted/needed to go to my cousin's JV football game last night. SO, I stayed flat, watched Scrubs, and napped for the better part of the day.

The more distressing problem is my laptop. It appears to be on its proverbial last leg and longing for death as much as I was yesterday. I'm not sure what the hell is wrong with it. Well, I know what's wrong with it....running slow, can't hold an internet connection, running SLOW. It's less than a year old, I've virus scanned, spyware scanned, defragged, etc. etc. and it still refuses to behave. I plan to be on the phone with the warranty/help desk peeps for a significant amount of time this afternoon, and if we can't figure anything out I'll have to mail it to their fixers. Which means it'll be a significant number of weeks before I get it back. Which means I have to back up any and everything that is/could potentially be important. Thesis stuff, MP3's, thesis stuff, pr0n. You name it.

So, the aforementioned football game. I battled through the sinus headache pain and went to the game, ate the obligatory corn dog, and listened to my cousin (not the one playing) be the typical "football parent" that makes my ass twitch. You know the type---always yelling and bitching about the other team's refs and rules. Yeah, not fun when they were the visiting team playing in my hometown. Even though I couldn't give less of a shit about football or football in my hometown, it's still annoying when someone keeps saying, "Yeah, freakin' ______ ______. They always change the rules here." What. the. fuck. ever. rednecks.

Got home and realized that when Mom had grabbed the small keyring with only the car keys on it to save me from looking like a man with big balls when I put the keys in my pocket because she didn't have pockets, she inadvertently locked us out of the house. She meant to leave the door from garage to house unlocked since she grabbed the exclusively-car-keys keychain, but it didn't work out. SO we were locked out with no windows to crawl through without breaking them, no doors she was willing to knock down. SO, she had to go track down a cell phone (we left ours at home) to call locksmiths, and the only one willing to come out (for $100) was in Mesquite (35ish miles away), and a whiner. He showed up (out of the kindness of his black heart) bitching about how many hours he works and how far he had to drive (which turned out to be only 20ish miles after all). It took him 1.5 hours to drive the 20 miles apparently so we were locked out until around 10:30.

Once we got in, I set the 'puter to scanning (again) and went to bed after having doped myself up with enough Tylenol Allergy Sinus to kill an angry dragon only to wake up at 4am to realize that I had missed the report I was supposed to write down and pass along to the help desk peeps, which means I'll have to run the hours-long scan again when I return home today.

Gotta go teach. Be back later.


P.S. The dying computer presents a large problem for getting the 'zine online. More to come on how I'm gonna rectify that situation.

12 comments:

  1. Boo to the laptop and bitchy locksmith! Oh, and the sinus headache.

    I hope everything comes up Milhouse! for the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I just hope my laptop doesn't die completely. Right now it's at least limping along. And thank goodness I have other 'puters around to squelch the frenzy of bitchiness if I didn't have a 'puter at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We locked ourselves out last January and came home from a vacation with only our car keys. It was close to midnight and bone-chilling COLD. Called a locksmith who arrived as quickly as he could in spite of the snow. $50 later, he got the door unlocked in a matter of seconds. Kind of scary when you think of it. Sorry your guy was such a dick. I hope your weekend improves and that the laptop gods are kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blah! If only I had a spell to make your evil headpain and computer woes magically disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les and Nat,
    Thanks muchly, girls. Today is a good day thus far, but I'm praying for a miracle of the laptoppish sort when I get home. I REALLY don't want to have to send it off and all that crap.

    Les, that's a horrible time to be locked out. When we first moved into our current home we were locked out because the previous owner kept forgetting to bring us a key (again, we were using the garage door). The electricity went out for a day and a half, thus locking us out of the house because the garage would no longer open. The previous owner got a not-so-nice call to BRING THE KEY! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro

    Oh, did I say that out loud??

    Have you thought about hiding a key on the estate somewhere? Like the servent's quarters or the stables?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Os, I've never had a problem with my PC's...this one is a first. Not enough to make me play for the other team (MAC!) yet.

    And yes, we usually do have a key hidden on the estate, but that's another long story entirely. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. stupid laptops are so unreliable. mine died after 2 1/2 years. the hard drive was alive but the screen just blanked out on me.

    hope your weekend turns out better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Headaches are the worst. I get horrible migraines a couple of times a year. The only thing that works for me is a completely dark room, no sound and a bag of frozen peas on my head. 3-4 hours flat on my back and I might be able to open my eyes.

    I hope your weekend is better.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you going for some sort of award Andi? That's a shitty rotten day! Smarten up or I'm calling you a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope things go better today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, sorry to hear about your laptop, LE. I've always had good luck with them, but this one is trying my patience.

    Lulu, so far the weekend is MUCH better. I get migraines and tension headaches quite often, and most of the time Excedrin will knock it out for quite a while. If not, I have to bust out the Migrazone and Ativan.

    Dale, I'm smartened! Life has been much better since this post.

    Thanks, NonGF! Looks like good times are on the horizon. It's all the work in between that sucks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!