Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Devil Made Me Do It!

Tagged by my favorite devil, Cincy....

1. One book that changed your life: Oh my God, what a choice. I would have to say the book that has touched me in the most profound way (and it's not really a book) is T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land." I'm cheating and calling it a book because sometimes it comes alone in book form. Good enough for me. After reading this particular work it was undeniable that I would get a Masters degree and PhD. I fell in love when I read it and realized what a profound impact the written word can have on a life. Thanks, Dr. Stayer!

2. One book that you've read more than once: The Great Gatsby is the book I've read the most. I think 4 or 5 times. I love that whole "dark side of the American dream" thing. I'm just that cynical, I suppose. What can I say, I love gorgeously written cynicism.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: What I Loved, by Siri Hustvedt. It's complicated, it's creepy, and it's incredibly wonderfully well written. I could read it endlessly.

4. One book that made you laugh: gods in Alabama, by Joshilyn Jackson (and that lower-case "g" is not a typo). This book was sort of like living in my head. She wrote many of the things I want to say but rarely do.

5. One book that made you cry: The Book Thief. Probably the saddest book I've ever read, but also one of the most powerful.

6. One book you wish had been written: Weird question. Not sure how to answer that. Perhaps if Jesus had written a memoir. In the meantime I'll just have to read Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

7. One book you wish had never been written: Letters from the Other Side by Will Cunningham. THE most worthless piece of shit book ever. There are angels in it with French accents and berets. 'Nuff said.

8. One book you're currently reading: City of Glass, first in Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. It's fantastic so far. In fact, I need to get my ass off the 'puter and read for a few minutes before bed.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: THE HUMAN STAIN! Most of you know I've been reading it for months. I have no idea why I can't seem to find the motivation to pick it up and finish. It's a fantastic read!

10. Six people to tag: Whosoever wants to fill it out! Lemme know if you do fill it out so I can come wallow in the bookish love.

Listening: "Adagio for Strings"...Samuel Barber

12 comments:

  1. The new look is kind of creepy. The vampire is wierd hot but gives me the willies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my halloweenie look, so mission accomplished with the creepy/hot. *dances 'round the ole cauldron*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this :) I still need to read that Siri Hustvedt book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iliana, you MUST! Perhaps we'll read it in the Estella's Revenge book discussion group and you'll join us?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many cool books I have to admit that I've never heard of! Great list ... I'm taking note and might have to run out and buy some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't resist anymore--these lists are too much fun to read, so I played, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cincy, read What I Loved. Seriously...everyone should.

    Yay, Purl!!! Can't wait to read yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read more Hustvedt--I adored Blindfold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, you've got me very very curious about What I Loved. It sounds fantastic. I am amazed how people can fill out these book memes. The minute I read the questions, every book title immediately pops out of my head, and it's as though I've never read a book in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God I love Gatsby. I've read it probably 20-25 times by now, and I have been lucky enough to get to teach it 3 differnt times, and will again in the spring. Fitzgerald was a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God I love Gatsby. I've read it probably 20-25 times by now, and I have been lucky enough to get to teach it 3 differnt times, and will again in the spring. Fitzgerald was a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot about Christopher Moore - LOVE the Gospel According to Biff. I have been known to quote from it. I also forgot about the Book Theif - great book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!