Saturday, November 11, 2006

Best Birthday EVER! The Report.

Yes, I have to honestly say, yesterday was the best birthday I've ever had.

The day started with Os's birthday tribute at his place, followed by a multitude of sweet messages from you all and a barrage of birthday MySpace comments. I let my classes go for the day (who wants to teach on their birthday?) and Thesis Director took me out for lunch. I guest lectured in D-rock's graphic narrative class (went well) and headed home early to prepare for the evening. It takes a while to strap on the fake eyelashes, so I needed a running start on the primping.

Straightened hair, fake eyelashes, wicked makeup, and a camo t-shirt, jeans, and a pin-stripe jacket later I was ready to roll out. We all met up at Elise's house at 6:00 (Charles, G, Jeremy, Elise, Crystal, and myself), putzed around, and left about 7:00. We arrived at Pete's in the nick of time and met up with T., OtherFeminist, and her hubby. We had reservations for 15 and I think there were 12 of us total by the end of the night (Abby, Brendan, and Josie arrived late). The drinks were flowing hard and fast while we were at Pete's, and because I have fabulous friends, I bought none of my own drinks. After 1 vodka tonic, 2 cranberry and vodkas, 3 Jager bombs, and a shot of Grey Goose I was feeling GOOD. I'm happy to say I was called onto the stage for birthday celebratory embarrassment before I was too drunk to walk straight. The really kickass part is that my friends not only requested I be called on stage, they turned my name in as "Estella!" Yay! I got to do the chicken dance with 3 other girls and one visiting Australian guy. Good times were had by all. Abby brought an amazing cake. White cake, whipped cream frosting, decorated with strawberries and white chocolate scallops. Yuuuum. And the weirdest part of the night was running into a girl that one of my friends dated in high school. They later married and had a kid, and she recognized me from across the bar and chased me down for a hug in the bathroom.

Around 11:00 or 11:30 we changed locations, opting to check out The Beagle on Greenville Avenue for ass shaking. Fabulous ass shaking music, crowded dance floor, drinks flowing (a few offered by strangers), and I commodified G because he has great rhythm, he smelled nice, and he's the perfect height (the top of my head just rests under his chin for easy leaning and wiggling).

We eventually ditched The Beagle and hit up Taco Cabana before we dropped T. and Crystal off at their truck and made our way home. I took advantage of G. for some platonic snuggle-sleeping on the way home.

In addition to the merriment, my friends treated me with some amazing gifts--proof positive that this group knows me through and through. Elise had mentioned repeatedly that I would love her gift, and oddly enough that was everyone else's comment when I asked if they knew about the gift. Turns out, they were alllllll right. She got us floor seats to the Dixie Chicks concert at the American Airlines Center on December 5th!!! And since that's a class night, she already cleared it with Thesis Director. I screamed when she gave them to me, we hugged, and jumped while *squeeeee*ing.

When we got to Pete's, T. whipped out the gift from he and Crystal. Again, proof that they know me too well: they got me two of Paul Auster's books (Brooklyn Follies, and The Music of Chance) so I wouldn't have to spend my Amazon gift card on them, and because T. knows how much I adore T.S. Eliot--"The Waste Land" in particular--he got me a copy of Eliot's The Waste Land and Other Poems.

OtherFeminist remembered how much I love her prayer necklace and bought me a bright, shiny one of my very own. It's goooorrrrgeous, and I can't wait to wear it.


Unfortunately, I left my camera full of really embarrassing pictures at Elise's house, so you'll all have to wait a day or two for those.

Many of my birthdays have come and gone and been pretty painful. My younger years--especially high school--were spent wondering if my dad might take the time to call or send a card (and he didn't from the time I was 9 until he died when I was 18). Later I struggled through lots of lonely times when I had very few friends, we were spread out, or just not interested enough to really celebrate. The last few years have been spent mourning those I lost (grandparents, the ex). To have a big group with me yesterday was a tremendous boost.

While I've always had a wonderful group of friends, I feel like this group of us now is quite kindred. We're all book nerds (or nerdy in some other artistic way), we're close to each other, and we know each other very very well. It was an amazing feeling to have everyone with me last night and I can only hope for such wonderful birthdays in the future.

P.S. If you need my new cell # because I haven't e-mailed it to you yet, drop me a line! I upgraded to a raspberry pink (the color of my first car) Razr today!

Listening: "The Long Way Around"...Dixie Chicks

22 comments:

  1. Yes, we did have a smashing good time didn't we? Can't wait for the end of the semester blow out whoo-hoo! Oh, by the way, in my drunken stupor, I did manage to take a few good pictures of your birthday bacchanalia and will put them on a disc for you post hastes. TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I could get your day started off well! Very happy to see you so happy! I have had some fairly unthrilling bdays, but none that I would call painful. It's good to have a slew of friends to help you celebrate!

    Dixie Chicks?? You lucky pup! Dare I ask what you got from G.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fem, we certainly did! I can't wait to see the pics. How did y'all feel this morning after your night of drinking? lol

    Os, I got some hugs, a good night of ass shaking, a shot of Grey Goose, and a cranberry and vodka from G. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I couldn't make it. I was up before seven this morning, dragging crap out for the garage sale. I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GP, how did the garage sale go? Make a killin'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess we got on well enough. Just a lot of pain and agony in my head. The day was so bright-but I can feel my face now. However, it did not keep me from doing a little early Xmas shopping. I will admit that as soon as hubby and I got home, we curled up in front of the telly and just sort of vegetated the rest of the day. Good Times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had a fabulous birthday.

    Last night was a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel shitty for not going. I am glad that you had a great time. I do have a present for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, early Christmas shopping! Good woman!

    It was the best time, E.! We must ass shake again soonish.

    Beth, don't feel shitty! I know you had family to attend to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in for the next ass-shake session!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a wonderful day! Happy belated!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth, glad to hear it!

    Lulu, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to hear the birthday rocked, and WOOT to the Chicks tickets! I am insanely jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds fantastic hun- I seriously considered making my group drop by Petes so I could see if I could pick you out of the crowd, but didnt want to be too stalker-esque.

    next time, however, you shall be staked.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. that sounds like an AWESOME birthday. you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Knew I forgot something the last time--you haven't emailed your new cell number to me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday! I'm glad you had such a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Andi. You look greater and greater every year. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds like the best fucking birthday EVER! You are so lucky to have so many cool friends.

    Amazon shipped your stuff Saturday. They said it should be there by the 18th. Damn them. I don't get it, they shipped yours first, then mine, but I'm supposed to get mine the 16th. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry I missed you Andi, so Happy Belated. Hope it was awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gah, I'm so sorry I'm late in wishing you a wonderful birthday! Looks like you had way too much fun :) You looked fabulous too! Hope all your birthday wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday!

    Glad to hear you had such a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!