Saturday, December 16, 2006

Is that a dead cat in my mouth?

Oh yes. I most definitely woke up with dead cat mouth this morning after last night's girly drinking. Not that we drank like girls, oh no, we drank like full-grown Irishmen, but we did drink fun drinks and it was a good girls' night.

We started with a trip to Half-Price Books--the BIG one on Northwest Highway. I picked up:

Specimen Days, Michael Cunningham ($6.00)
Birthday Letters, Ted Hughes ($1.00)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera ($6.00)
The Secret Garden, that woman whose name I can't remember ($1.00)
Briar Rose, Jane Yolen ($1.00)
Fade, Robert Cormier ($3.00)
The Chocolate War, Robert Cormier ($3.00)
Dear Mili, The Brothers Grimm, illustrated by Maurice Sendak ($2.00)

Very proud of my bargains.

Next up, we went to The Cheesecake Factory and after much deliberation and strategizing, settled on the super duper appetizer platter (feeds 4) which consisted of calimari, avocado eggrolls, potstickers, buffalo chicken bites, artichoke/spinach dip, spring rolls, quesadillas, and THE BEST corn cakes I've EVER had. That was a nice amount split among 3 of us, and we each ordered a different dessert and shared. I ordered my usual (favorite) dulce de leche caramel cheesecake, and the other desserts were: carrot cake cheesecake and a lemoncello cream torte. AMAZING. I'm sure my ass grew an inch just sitting at the dinner table, but it was yummy and so very worth it.

After that we headed back home and spent the remainder of the evening (until 3am) drinking shots: mind erasers (kahlua, vodka, club soda, diet coke--in a tumbler) and lemon drops (vodka shot with a sugar-coated lemon chaser). I think I had something like 8 shots and 2 vodka tonics before I drunk-dialed G. and passed out at 3:30. I woke up with that all-too-familiar feel of suede in my mouth, promptly began re-hydrating, and now I'm at the office grading final portfolios. Later today I fully intend to go back to the very empty house I'm sitting and read while covered in sweet puppies. And my mom and I are going out to an all-you-can-eat catfish buffet tonight. Watch out!

6 comments:

  1. I'm still not feeling so hot. I think I have the mother of all hangovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like someone had fun :)

    You should try some Baby Guinness next time you're having shots. Tia Maria and Bailey's they are plain yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or a slippery nipple - sambuca and bailey's, I think it is.

    Or even a Bruford - Jack Daniel's with Tia Maria. Sounds rank but it's my favourite alcoholic drink.

    Congrats on your whatsit thingy, by the way. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the whole world woke up hungover on saturday morning after christmas parties and the like. It has to be done though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl - congrats on being done with school! Next time I'm at Cheesecake Factory I'm going to try the Dulce de Leche. I typically chose chocolate raspberry. Okay, great now I'm hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're having way too much fun! If you get any extra can you send it my way? Ah, youth!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!