Finally, I'm in the Christmas spirit. We had our collective family get together here yesterday: Mom, myself, Cousin 1, his wife and 3 kids, Cousin 2 and her husband and 3 kids. We ate honey-baked ham, potato salad, and a barrage of munchies: Rotel cheese dip, artichoke parmesan dip, and cajun ham dip. Not to mention deviled eggs, salad, and a veggie tray. For dessert, banana pudding and pecan pie.
Holy fatass, Batman!
The only ugly incident was when Cousin 2's hubby said, "So, Andi, when do you think you're moving? You know you'll be right back just like when you tried moving to North Carolina."
Grrrrrrr. I made a very smartassy remark that put him in his place and he kissed ass for the rest of the day. I shall refrain from repeating it here since it alludes to a sensitive family subject that I shan't go into. But anywho, I was redeemed and he looked like the asshole he can be from time to time.
It was a good afternoon of eating, chatting, and gift giving/receiving. I received a Joe's Crab Shack gift card (after Cousin 2 lost the Barnes & Noble gift card she bought for me), an embroidered teachery bag (says, "Andi's A+ Students" and lists all 6 of my lil cousins' names), and....drum roll....an 8 GB iPod nano from my mom.
Finding ourselves quite overwhelmed by all the gifty goodness, Mom and I went ahead and exchanged all of our gifts (yes, on the 23rd...2 days before Christmas). I gave her:
- $50 Wal-Mart gift card after I couldn't find the can opener and chopper thingy that she wanted
- Cool Water for Women (so she'd stop stealing mine)
- Moonlight Path perfume from Bath & Body Works
- Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? Questions You'd Only Ask Your Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour...by a couple of doctors. The 2nd in this series after I bought Why Do Men Have Nipples? Questions You'd Only Ask Your Doctor After Your Third Martini last year.
- A Crown Royal (Canadian whiskey for those non-drinkers out there) gift set....big bottle of Crown and a couple of nice glasses.
- And last, but certainly not least, an amethyst necklace.
- A cover for my nano.
- A car kit for the nano so I can play it through my car stereo.
- The Essential Bob Dylan....2-disc set
- Shaun of the Dead
- A casual navy blue shirt.
- An M.C. Escher calendar.
- Sims 2: Pets expansion pack
And as an added bonus, Mom won a Playstation 2 at work last week, so we've been playing our old Playstation original games and we bought Sims 2: Bustin' Out, a Spongebob game, and I've been playing a Family Guy game like mad.
Today was a fun day. Mom and I tooled around in G-vegas and in the grand tradition of watching horror movies on Christmas Eve (something that started several years ago when we found ourselves in the theater on Christmas Eve watching Scream and some others) we popped Shaun of the Dead in ye olde DVD player. Mom had never seen it and I think she loved it almost as much as I do. We topped off the day by watching A Christmas Story (another one she hadn't seen), and waiting up for Cousin 2's hubby to come get the kids' Christmas presents out of our garage...2 dirtbikes and a little battery-powered John Deere Gator 4-wheeler thingy for the little one.
On that note, I'm about to call it a day. I hope you're all having a wonderful time with people you care about. I wish you the best!
Listening: a nano shuffle.....
- "Get Him Back"....Fiona Apple
- "Cry"...James Blunt
- "Angry Angel"...Imogen Heap
- "Satyam Shivam Sundaram"...Thievery Corporation
- "Not Fade Away"...Buddy Holly
- "Isolation"...Maximo Park
- "Hurricane"...Bob Dylan
- "It's All Over Now"...Bob Dylan
- "Glory Box"...Portishead
- "Kissing the Lipless"...The Shins