Friday, January 05, 2007

2007 TBR Challenge


MizBooks, a friend of mine from my Yahoo! Groups participation for the last 4 years or so has introduced the 2007 TBR Challenge to the bookish bloggers of the world. I've decided to take up the challenge, and this is the list of books I plan to read--at least one book from my TBR ("to be read" pile for those of you not hip to the bibliophile's lingo) for each month in 2007.

In no particular order:

Eleven Minutes, by Paulo Coehlo
I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith
Atonement, by Ian McEwan
The Book of Illusions, by Paul Auster
The Enchantment of Lily Dahl, by Siri Hustvedt
The Human Stain, by Philip Roth
The Bell, by Iris Murdoch
The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman
The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison
Mrs. Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf
The End of the Affair, by Graham Greene
The Position, by Meg Wolitzer

And in case my mood is off, I'm allowing a few alternates in case the ones listed above don't tickle my fancy:

The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx
Northanger Abby, by Jane Austen
The Little Black Book of Stories, by A.S. Byatt
Sexual Personae, by Camille Paglia
While these titles represent a mere drop in the bucket from my overflowing shelves (550-600 books approximately), I'm looking forward to finding out what I've been missing all this time. Each of these books has been on the TBR for over 6 months (most of them for a few years), so they've been waiting a long time to be picked up.
If you'd like to join the TBR challenge, pop over to Literary Cache and sign up!

14 comments:

  1. Oh and the Bluest Eye is beautiful,of course, it's Morrison. Have you read Song of Solomon?

    By the way, I think I sent you an email about 11 minutes from Murat's email. Sorry, that's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Song of Solomon. I'm dreadfully underread when it comes to Morrison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, just got your e-mail, and it did come from yours, not Murat's. Either way, nothing strikes me as weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi, it looks like you have some GREAT reading ahead of you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya, Andi! Thanks for signing on for the Challenge! :-D

    <>< Mizbooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I picked the most shining stars from my shelf that have been calling to me the longest. I'm reallyyyy excited to dig into these.

    Miz, thanks! I'm looking very very forward to participating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read one of those books - The Shipping News. A splendid bit of writing and a worthy Pulitzer winner. If that's what it won. I think it did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BD,
    I believe it did win a Pulitzer. I love Proulx, and while I generally have issues with Pulitzer winners, I have faith that I will enjoy her tale. Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices! Mrs. Dalloway is my number 1, all-time favorite book. And I love: Atonment, Amber Spyglass, Bluest Eye, End of the Affair...

    I signed up for the list too, but the Yahoo Group is too busy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Purl, you really love Mrs. Dalloway! Have you read other books by Virginia Woolf?

    I'm really excited about The End of the Affair. I first discovered Greene through his short story "The Destructors", which I adored. Thank you, Donnie Darko! That's where I found out about the story. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good list. I have Virginia Woolf on mine too. I'll look in again as TBR progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn blogger isn't making it easy to answer you!

    I've read To The Lighthouse, which I didn't like very much. Someday I should give it another try. Orlando is on my TBR list

    Greene's official biographer taught at my English dept, but I didn't discover him until much later. His books are great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn blogger isn't making it easy to answer you!

    I've read To The Lighthouse, which I didn't like very much. Someday I should give it another try. Orlando is on my TBR list

    Greene's official biographer taught at my English dept, but I didn't discover him until much later. His books are great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by, Sarala! Looking forward to reading Woolf!

    Purl, I've heard really good things about Orlando. The only Woolf I've read to this point is A Room of One's Own (loved it), and I'm really looking forward to Mrs. Dalloway.

    Cool about Greene's biographer! I'll have to hunt down some of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!