Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Frivolity Ensues


In light of the fact that I've been horizontal for several days wallowing in the neck pain, I've had a lot of time to watch TV. Now, don't get me wrong, I've done a good bit of reading too (Barack is my new bookish crack habit), but it's hard to stay in the "laying on stomach, propped up on pillows" method of body placement that I generally enjoy for reading given the neck issues. So, I've been watching a lot of TV. When I'm watching TV I prefer a couple of things: 1) House, M.D. if it's on 2) The Travel Channel or some other educational/documentary type thing 3) movies.

Since I've seen every episode of House that's aired ever (at least 4 times), I'm taking some time off from it (until January 9th when the new episodes come back). All of my Netflix movies are currently turned in and I'm awaiting a new shipment, and I've watched several of the ones I have recorded on DVR--most recently Smoke, Eulogy, and Little Women. I'm left with a lot of TV.

My favorite show on The Travel Channel is--hands down--Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. For those of you who might not be familiar, Anthony Bourdain has been a chef in NYC for ages and written several books including his chronicle of the culinary underbelly, Kitchen Confidential. No Reservations premiered in 2005. Each episode is an hour of Anthony traveling to some exotic locale, experiencing the culture and testing out the food. To give you a little sample, in the 4 episodes I watched yesterday he tried fermented shark, a seal eyeball, a very disturbing organ meat concoction in Ireland, among other more palateable items like fresh lobster, cod cakes, and a lot of beer.

The hook of the show, more than anything I suppose, is Bourdain himself. He's a badass, kids. He smokes like a freight train, drinks like a fish, favors profanity, and isn't a stranger to a barbed remark. Kinda like the House, M.D. of the cooking world. But decidedly likeable (to me anyhow, who seems to love assholes with a hearts of gold). He's often referred to as a "working class chef"...a regular guy who can down some brews with the best of 'em and sling out a hell of a creme brulee.
With all that in mind, Anthony Bourdain is officially my first "man I think is hot, that really isn't that hot" of 2007. In the past I've given you Hugh Laurie (still king, still gorgeous) and a number of others, and Bourdain is the latest, and one of the snarkiest in a continually growing list.
Watching: Bean

17 comments:

  1. Hubby and I LOVE Bourdain. We even got my dad into his show last year. We love it. We love food and the food network but agree that Bourdain never "belonged" on that net like he does on Travel and his new show. And, I don't generally agree with you on your not hot guys that are hot but I am totally with you on this one! I love him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I think he is such a goober...mostly for him being him which oddly I respect him for. You can have him! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, there's also an episode of miami ink with him getting a tattoo. I loved the episode where he goes to Vietnam and doesn't know what the hell he's eating but drinks these 1000 yr old concoctions made from bizarre snake testicles and the like. And you are totally right, he's hot ( but a tad skinny) See you later,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooohoooo!!!! I finally found one you agree with me on, Funky! ;) Agreed, he's not a proper Food Network guy.

    Heather, he is a goober, which is probably another reason I like him so. lol

    Abby, I seem to have taken a turn from tall and beefy to tall and lanky. It's a trend lately. And I saw that episode of Miami Ink! Can't say I've seen the Vietnam episode, but 1000 year old snake testicle concoctions sound interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of Bourdain, but that could be because I don't think he's reached our shores yet! I'll keep my eyes open though!

    Hope you're neck is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watch Little Women the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire, he should be arriving any time! LOL My neck is much improved. I can turn it now and everything.

    Kat, which version? The one with Elizabeth Taylor? I loooove it. An all-time fave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anthony Bourdain was far sexier in my mind - which would have been before I saw him on TV and only read his books. You see, in my mind he had a very Leonard Cohen-ish voice and in actuality...well, let's just say not so much. That totally deflated everything. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Sassy! Sometimes it's the little things that make the persona for us! Or ruin it as the case may be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. he ate an eyeball?

    Oh. My. Gawd.

    I will have to make friends with somebody that actually has tv and check him out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Cold. For a quick looky-loo check out http://www.anthonybourdain.com

    I believe there are some vids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Girl - hope you are feeling better. Must have been all that partying on New Year's :)

    By the way, loved your previous post! Looking forward to more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iliana, feeling MUCH better now, thanks! And I'm looking forward to more of those posts too. It's cathartic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch! Sorry about the neck pain. Hopefully you're feeling better.

    You sound like a Netflix freak like myself. About the only things I catch regularly are Family Guy reruns, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, George Lopez Show, and other childish selections.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cincy, I am quite the Netflix freak. In fact, I just had to report my first missing DVD. I hope it shows up eventually, but it's been a while since I mailed it and I'm ready to get another movie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I highly recommend his cookbook if you like to cook, particularly if you like to cook meat. I'd never seen a cookbook that had the word "fuck" in it before, but the recipes are pretty amazing and well written too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Lulu! I've never read a cookbook with "fuck" in it either, but I'm highly impressed that he managed to work it in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!