Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Let's Nosh, volume 1


I've mentioned a number of times how much I like to cook. I do, I love to cook. I watch The Food Network constantly (it's always on, even if it's muted while I read or something), and I'm always thinking of how I could modify recipes to better suit my lifestyle. Unfortunately, given the fact that I'm not home a whole lot, I don't get to cook as much as I'd like. However, I do have a huge impact on the types of food that roll into the house since I'm usually attempting to eat right...whether I succeed or not.

SO, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite recipes over the course of the "Let's Gnosh" blog series, if you will.

I've turned into a South Beacher, and before you roll your eyes and click away, contrary to popular belief, it's not your typical "no carb" diet. In fact, South Beach (beyond the first two weeks of the program) allows carbs in the form of something healthier than white bread and rice, urging the eater to choose whole grains instead of "enriched" flour and the like.

So, with that in mind, breakfast.

I'm a huge fan of frittata because it's insanely easy. Here's a recipe for Cheesy Frittata, and I'll add my own suggestions for variations at the end:

2 teaspoons of margarine (low-cholesterol, low-fat, whatever ya like)
1/2 a cup of sliced or chopped onion (I prefer all my veggies chopped)
1/2 a cup of chopped red bell pepper
1/2 a cup of chopped zucchini
2 small plum tomatoes diced
1 tablespoon of fresh basil (less if it's dried, or none if you don't like it)
Pinch of black pepper
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup of egg substitute or (and this is perfectly acceptable)...4 eggs
a bloop of milk...you be the judge
a generous sprinkling of the cheese of your choice...I prefer mild cheddar

While the official recipe says to start the veggies off in a skillet until they've softened up a bit, throw in the eggs, and broil the whole thing for another 2-3 minutes until done, I say screw that. I generally use leftover grilled veggies from the previous night's dinner, throw the whole mess into a relatively shallow, rounded baking dish and cook it for 5-6 minutes in the microwave. Be mindful of the frittata as it nukes because if you overcook it, you'll have a very rubbery concoction, and that's just not appetizing.

Additional additions that I find titilating if I have them on hand: artichoke hearts, diced ham, bacon sprinkles, mushrooms, asparagus (love asparagus), smoke salmon, purple onion holds a special place in my heart, and even yellow squash.

The recipe as we make it in my house serves two. A couple of slices each evens out to 2 eggs a piece and a slew of veggies.

The alternative:
If you're on the run and simply don't have time to cook, I recommend a bowl of Uncle Sam's Whole Wheat Cereal with Flax Seed. It sounds like donkey chow, but it's really good. The small flakes provide a bitchin' crunch, and I add a sprinkling of frozen blueberries, 1 packet of Sweet-n-Low, and a splash of lactose-free 2% milk (because "real" milk spoils too fast for our house).

Watch for lunch coming soon, featuring my recipe for "Unstuffed" Cabbage.

11 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Isn't The Food Network great? I can sit and watch that for hours just like HGTV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm.....that looks yummy. Bet my hubby would like it with jalapenos on it. He loves those nasty things! May just have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy!

    South Beach is actually quite a healthy form of eating, when it's looked at closely. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must be going through something together. I was just thinking I need to start posting about cooking/food, etc. Tonight in the oven are pork chops marinated in mojito sauce, butternut squash with ginger glaze and spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carl, The Food Network is fantastic! So addicted. Even the annoying ones are beginning to be endearing (Michael Chiarello!). LOL

    Heatheroo, oooh, I bet jalapenos would be amazing. I might have to try that myself!

    Les, South Beach is very healthy. I was surprised and delighted when I began reading about it. The problem I always had with Atkins was that you could essentially drink fat and be fine. But fruit was a no-no.

    Courtney, we could be bloggy soulmates! I'm intrigued by this mojito sauce. I love me some mojito, so please do share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love frittatas but never remember them when I'm trying to think of something different for dinner. I'll definitely try this recipe over the weekend. I love to cook, too! I don't think I have too many South Beach friendly recipes over on my cooking blog, but ya never know when you might want to take a break and have something carb-loaded. Go to:

    http://lesleyskitchen.blogspot.com

    when you get a chance. I'm trying to add a few recipes every week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like someone else already said, though I love these egg dishes I never think to make them for dinner. Dratted mental lapses... But this one looks positively heavenly. Thanks for the reminder about this incredibly easy/yummy (eammy?) dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll never have to cook much in Mexico. Our little seaside pub will have a restaurant with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks tasty, but I have to say, I am not a big fan of the Food Network. I used to like it, but there are so few actual cooking shows on it now, and the few shows devoted to cooking don't give you recipes most of the time; they just explain how to make something. And the hosts spend far too much time sucking their fingers and saying things like "yum-o" (vs "yummy" which cannot be trademarked). There are way too many shows devoted to gingerbread house making contests, or the secret life of bubble gum. Where is the content? Michael Chiarello is actually one of the few hosts I don't mind; Ina is another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les, I should've consulted your cooking blog tonight. Had a stressful afternoon, so I went carb-crazy and had chicken fried steak for dinner. OMG, sooo good. I like to think I offset the badness with a salad and steamed veggies on the side. Let me know how your frittata goes!

    LOL, Ms. Blue! Be sure to let me know what you put in your frittata if you give one a whirl. I always like hearing what others figure out to add that never dawned on me.

    Oooh, Cincy. I love you hard.

    Lu, I do agree with ya on that. I HATE the "Challenge" shows. Some of the non-cooking shows I like are Good Eats (Alton Brown cracks me up) and Ace of Cakes (boggles the mind). Other than that, I like the real cooking shows. Rachael Ray annoys me, but I like her recipes. Paula Dean annoys me, but I like seeing what she comes up with. Ina is fantastic. I hope they don't go totally MTV and divorice the cooking shows all together (ever notice there's no music on MTV?). Then I will be supremely pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am trying the Reverse Diet...we'll see how it goes. Just starting out and I've been going to the gym now for the past two weeks! Back on track baby! Glad you are too. Your food sounds YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!