Monday, January 22, 2007

Please help!


My dear friend, TheOtherFeminist, whom you may have seen commenting on this very blog, is going through a horrific situation. In short, her son and daughter-in-law were approached by police in a Dairy Queen restaurant after someone reported that they were abusing their child. What really happened was that her son swatted his daughter's leg in an attempt to discipline her when she was throwing a fit getting into her carseat. The authorities questioned the son and daughter-in-law on-site and removed their child. TheOtherFeminist's granddaughter has been in foster care ever since the incident because proper measures were not taken by the police or CPS to contact a relative who might take the child, etc. And on top of everything, as if her granddaughter in foster care wasn't enough, they also arrested her son. FOR A SWAT ON THE LEG. There were no bruises as a result of this incident and no signs of abuse, just a lot of negligence on the cops' part and on CPS's part as well.


If you could take a moment to go read TheOtherFeminist's account of this ridiculous, horrific incident and offer any insight you might have into this process, it would be very much appreciated.


If you have children, please read TheOtherFeminist's story. I hate that this has happened to such a wonderful, loving family and I certainly don't want it to happen to anyone else out there.


If there is any way I can help TheOtherFeminist if/when she decides to seek media attention to bring this injustice to light, I will most certainly do everything I can. And I hope more of you will become well-versed in your state's laws in these regards.
And, if you're so inclined, pass this story along on your blog as well. I'm sure TheOtherFeminist would be very very grateful.


Click HERE to visit the original post on this incident.

Click HERE to visit TheOtherFeminist's blog for regular updates on the situation.

13 comments:

  1. I'm going to read the original post, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left her a comment on her most recent post and I hope it gets straightened out. I saw this at Osbasso's (and left my two cents there too)and I was stunned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sam!

    And thanks so much, Jeannie! I read your comments at Os's blog and Fem's blog. I'm not sure if anything in particular has happened lately to spark an overzealousness by the police and CPS, but it's entirely possible. I just hope for Fem's family's sake that all this is straightened out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The exact same thing happened to me. Hope was taken away from me for alleged sexual abuse. I had been putting vaseline on her vagina for a diaper rash (potty training wasn't going well - she wasn't wiping) and some called and said I was abusing her. I went to pick Hope up from daycare and the cops were there. They were about to take Hope to foster care but the daycare director insisted that they call my mom. She had to live with my mom for 2 years while we sorted the entire mess out.

    She had to have a physical exam, several bouts of questioning with psychologists, and a couple of times with the court before I got her back.

    Scariest thing that has ever happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it seems that CPS has gone by their rules, which means that legally, they did not take her unlawfully. However, there are major problems with their proceedures! They say that after all "reasonable efforts" are made to contact someone to get the child is not met, then they process said child. The language is very broad and ambigous here, but I will elaborate on this on my blog. I thank all of you for your comments and urge you to find out what are the laws in your state regarding this issue and DON'T trust the F***** cops either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this sounds pretty major! I really feel for families who are unfairly persecuted when there are kids who really need some intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even comprehend. This is horrible. What gets me is that so often they leave kids who really need help in awful situations. Sending good vibes to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WTF? I thought this type of thing only happened in Life Time movies. This is so scary that this could happen to any average family. Thoughts and prayers going to TOF's family. I have no knowledge or insight here so I just really hope they get all of this worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And the kids who really need to be removed from a bad situation never get any help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It makes me so mad when I hear a story like this. CPS never steps in when they are really needed and always do when there is not a problem. The State of Texas took me away from my mom when I was three and placed me with my mother's father. He molested and abused me for three years. This issue is a personal hot button.

    I will go read her blog right now and will say a prayer for those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow. I'll go read the whole story. My sister went through something entirely different, but also involving an overzealous cop. It was a long, horrible, messy affair and their 10-year-old son was actually arrested, fingerprinted and had a mug shot taken for . . . get this . . . tossing some pea gravel at the cop's daughter. It's a scary world. BTW, that did end up fine - they purged everything from my nephew's records and reprimanded the officer. Whew! Hope things go as well for Fem, but the process will likely be very long and miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy fuck - am in shock at that. hope everything works out ok for them

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excuse my language, but that's fucked up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!