Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Return of Responsibility

Yes, kids, it's upon me...the beginning of a new semester. I'm happy to report that I'm feeling much better and just in time. I wasn't able to attend The Rogues' show on Friday night which pissed me off. Instead, I came home from work training and flopped in bed at 4:30 and remained there through the night and most of yesterday. I didn't really sleep, but I did watch a lot of TV and play SIMS2. Unfortunately, none of that down time included internet time since my bedroom phone line is inexplicably dead. Hopefully that will be remedied tomorrow, so I can surf from the comfort of my electric blanket.

We have Martin Luther King Day off from school/work, so the responsibilities don't technically kick in again until Tuesday. This semester promises to be another big asswhip, but it's the last semester of my Master's degree and that, in itself, seems like a small miracle. Has it really been 2 years already? I suppose so, since I'm approaching my 2nd blogaversary.

On the docket for this semester:
  • Teach a Tues/Thurs afternoon class at the JC
  • Teach Written Argument and Research and assist in an Intro to Children's Lit class on MWF at the university
  • Take a Lit Theory class on Thursday nights
  • Write the remainder of my thesis (approx 2 chapters down...Introduction/Review of the Literature, and a chapter over folktale retellings in the series I'm workin' with)
  • Defend my thesis...tentatively scheduled for the beginning of March
  • 4 conferences....one at my university (Feb.) one in Albuquerque (Feb.), one in Nashville (March) and one in Houston (April)
  • Try to maintain an active social life

It promises to be trying at best, but I'm ready to bust through it and be done with this degree. And, hopefully, move on to my Ph.D. at a good school next year. For now, my syllabi are done, my clothes are picked out, and I'm good and rested after an overwhelmingly relaxed vacation.

I'm off to catch up on some blogs and continue reading The End of the Affair--my January TBR Challenge book.

Night, my lovelies.

10 comments:

  1. Hope you can kick the snot monster's ass, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, the last semester of grad school! That is awesome! Congrats :0) It sounds like you will be nice and busy in the coming months...don't get too stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling better and here's hoping you don't burn out on that schedule of yours!! You crazy girl you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be curious to know what you make of the ending of The End of the Affair. I'm mixed on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are wonder woman. hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The End of the Affair is one of the most thought-provoking (about God) and real (about love) novels I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Hope you find it so, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Osbasso, consider the snot monster kicked. Almost.

    Kim, thanks! I'm glad to have this stage of it done. Now just 4 years of PhD. ARRG! lol

    I'll try not to burn out, Heather! Somehow I think it'll happen against my will.

    Blue, I'm a bit mixed myself. Need to go back and re-read it because I was rushing a bit at that point.

    Thanks, Soj!

    Quill, I agree. It certainly demonstrates that "fine line between love and hate" think nicely--and the ties between love and God are amazingly well done. Very good read. And it's nice to see you! It's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. last semester of my masters too! school hasn't started for us yet but I'm already scared of the semester to come. We'll have to trade horror stories of homework and papers and late nights because I need to know I'm not the only one suffering through this stuff ;)

    I hope you're feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Justa, we do need to console each other! This semester is going to be a BITCH for me! Arrg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yipes, I am offically intimidated by your smartness. :) Go you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!