Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Review: Patrimony, by Philip Roth

#2: Patrimony, by Philip Roth
Pages: 237
Date Finished: 01/07/2007
Genre: memoir
Rating: 8.5/10 (very good, couldn't put it down)
Reason: Writing an encyclopedia entry over it
Thoughts: Roth's memoir recounts the time leading up to his father'sdeath from complications with an advanced brain tumor. As the title suggests, the memoir deals largely in issues of inheritance—in this case not of monetary inheritance but the inheritance of characteristics that Roth finds in his father to be simultaneously annoying and admirable. While it's a very sad read, as the reader knows the inevitable conclusion, it's also an emotionally raw side ofRoth that we hardly ever see in his fiction.

2 comments:

  1. i seriously heart roth in spite of portnoy's complaint. goodbye columbus haunts me still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read Goodbye Columbus, but I'll have to give it a try! I'm sure I'll get round to all his stuff eventually.

    Now, wanna come write this encyclopedia entry for me? Pwease?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!