Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blowin' like a.....nevermind.

Dallas/Fort Worth (and the surrounding sticks...where I live) were hit with a freak dust storm over the weekend. Saturday dawned sunny and lovely only to turn all to shit mid-day. Below are pics I stole from Crazy.Spoiled.Blitch of the weirdness. You'll notice, the first picture looks nice and healthy.





















Then there's the second pic.

As I said very eloquently on Blitch's blog, "Wasn't that the weirdest fucking thing you've ever seen? I expected aliens or Jesus at any moment." Really. All of a sudden everything was mud-colored. My first thought was actually "tornado" but usually the sky is green before those come down.

Odd. Very odd.

We had 40-60mph winds for the majority of the day, and most of this dust can be lovingly attributed to west Texas. Thank you, El Paso. Thank you.





Listening: The din of my own panic.

Gripe of the day: I submitted a paper proposal to THE big conference in Children's Literature. Last week when Thesis Director got her acceptance I began looking for an acceptance or rejection. I received neither. Turns out the shitbirds didn't receive my proposal AT ALL. But I'm more inclined to think that someone a) deleted it by accident b) didn't look over their SPAM folder.

*sigh*

9 comments:

  1. Sorry about your proposal. That sucks.

    You should send them some hate mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your proposal. I bet the people were so "genuinely apologetic." Jerks...

    I freaked for a second when I saw my pictures on your page. I was thinking, "MINE!" But you gave me credit - so thanks for using them. I have more posted on my flickr at: www.flickr.com/photos/moopinator/

    ReplyDelete
  3. E., I'll live, I suppose. Definitely contemplating the hate mail. Although, I guess I should kick myself for not bugging them about a confirmation receipt in the first place.

    Blitch, I'm actually really glad you commented because I had intended to link you when I mentioned you (as opposed to just mentioning that the pics are yours), but I got distracted by a colleague and forgot. It's all linked up now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks about your proposal!! :(
    We didn't have a dust storm, but it sure was crazy windy here yesterday, blowing all that nasty pollen around-damn hayfever season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeewww, that blowing pollen would've killed me! It puts me down for the count!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, it's funny because it was really windy, (like, 60mph) here all yesterday, and normally all we get is chilly drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, that is weird as hell! Hope it's all cleared up now

    ReplyDelete
  8. GG, I'd give my left ovary for a chilly drizzle right about now.

    Funky, it didn't last too long, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Listening to the din of your own panic sort of sums it up there Andi.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!