Friday, February 23, 2007

Incommunicado ends today!

I'm back. Sorry to have disappeared like that, but I was helping put on a symposium. Elise was the big mama of the conference, having coordinated the whole thing, and I helped with miscellany: helped organize registration, helped with a couple of receptions, and presented a paper. It's been a fast and furious couple of days with teaching, my own work, and prepping/printing/sorting 90 or so name tags, etc. While I'm sure 90% of my friends are good and blitzed right now, I'm at home in my pj's after having taken off my UNGODLY uncomfortable shoes. I was in so much pain today that I ran around the student center barefoot. I'll probably die of some tropical linoleum fungus now, but at least my toes aren't squished into pointy-toed heels.

I arrived home to a couple of fantabulous surprises:

Bookfool packed up some goodies for me including an MP3 speaker that sounds positively heavenly. I'm excited that I can listen to my iPod while I clean my bedroom now (without having to use headphones and carry it around).

In addition (as if that weren't enough), she sent two books: The Captain and the Enemy (Graham Greene) and Jeeves and the Tie that Binds (Wodehouse...whom I've never read).

AND, she sent along a gorgeous Mississippi bookmark. Can you handle the grand finale??...A HUGH LAURIE BOOKMARK!!!! She made it herself. On one side is a gorgeous black and white pic of Hugh lookin' all finger-lickin' good, and the other side is one of my favorite quotes of his...."Perfection is intensely annoying."

The other very large package was a buttload of review books for Estella's Revenge, courtesy of Bluestalking Reader.

This new issue of Estella's Revenge has grown into something incredibly special. We have over 20 pieces (features, niblets, columns, reviews), and I can't wait for it to hit the net on March 1st!

With that, I'm off to bed. Tomorrow I'm sleeping late, cleaning house, and then reading FUN STUFF!

6 comments:

  1. I was going to call the cops if we didn't hear from you by the weekend! Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love me some Jeeves. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of your help with the symposium.

    I slept until 1 this afternoon. All I'm doing this weekend is cleaning and reading for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Os. I'm alive!

    Lu, I hope I love Jeeves too! I have a sneakin' suspicion that I will.

    E, no problem at all. I didn't do much. Glad to hear you slept in. You deserve a nice break! What are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great surprises!

    Looking forward to reading the next installment of ER ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't they, though??

    I hope you enjoy the new issue!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!