Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Life of the Boring

Nothin' shakin' around here to speak of. I should've graded papers today: didn't. I should've re-read some stuff for Thursday: didn't. I should've done anything productive: didn't. I did get a BookMooch book--Getting Stoned with Savages (J. Maarten Troost)--and started reading that!!!

I (not so) patiently waited for the mail today just to be disappointed at the lack of PhD letter. Of course, I also dread the PhD letter because if I get accepted I have some exceedingly painful, horrible decisions to make. It sucks being a grownup.

I think I'll toss any and all previous dreams and simply be an escapist.

Fiji, anyone?

7 comments:

  1. The Troost is good, although I think I liked his first a bit better. What's a bookmooch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the two of us are the only ones who have yet to hear from a graduate program. I, too, find myself obsessively checking my mail only to be disappointed.

    I hate waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about Fiji and escaping decisions.

    Perhaps we can make a career cracking crabs on the beach after all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do I sign up for the trip?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is probably a book in there somewhere. Panicked would be doctorate candidates flee life for the gorgeous South Pacific islands of Fiji where they binged on sugar cane. You could all be rich!!

    Really, hoping you hear something soon. Waiting is the worst, even when you aren't sure you want the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lu, I'm glad to hear it's good. Can't say I'm terribly surprised that it's not as good as the first one. I can't imagine that anything would be. I can't wait to dig into it tonight.

    J-rod, waiting blows. I can't put it much more eloquently than that.

    E., yay Fiji! Remember your slicker and rubber boots. They're a crab cracker's best friend.

    Nik, got yer name down! :)

    Heather, why didn't I think of that??? I think a memoir of the craziness of graduate school would be just the ticket. We've done enough stupid things to populate at least 400 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shit. That was me. Forgot to sign out of the Estella's Revenge account. Urrg!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!