Monday, February 19, 2007

THE List

Heather at The Library Ladder made the mistake of wishing I'd post a list of stuff I'm reading for my thesis, so here it is!

Primary sources:
Fables: Legends in Exile (all by Bill Willingham)
Fables: Animal Farm
Fables: Storybook Love
Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers
Fables: The Mean Seasons

Secondary:
The Dialogic Imagination, M.M. Bakhtin
Story and Discourse, Seymour Chatman
Folklore Matters, Alan Dundes
Comics and Sequential Art, Will Eisner
Folk & Fairy Tales, 3rd Edition, Martin Hallet and Barbara Karasek
The Art of the Comic Book: An Aesthetic History, Robert C. Harvey
Alternative Comics: An Emerging Literature, Charles Hatfield
Word, Dialogue, and Novel, Julia Kristeva
Understanding Comics and Reinventing Comics, Scott McCloud
Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema, Laura Mulvey
Words About Pictures, Perry Nodelman
Off with Their Heads!, Maria Tatar
Mouse Morality: The Rhetoric of Disney Animated Film, Annalee Ward
Breaking the Magic Spell: Radical Theories of Folk and Fairy Tales, Jack Zipes

And that's not a complete list, but it's a good chunk. Overall even the boring-sounding books are decent reads. Especially all the comics theory and folk/fairy tale books!

5 comments:

  1. Oh geez. Of course now I have to go and research these books and see which ones I'll be adding to my TBR Mountain!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Northrop Frye's "The Great Code" might help you out a bit as well. The effect of the bible on western literature etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, good luck! lol

    Tuco, thanks! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've always wondered the same thing. Don't know why I never asked though. Sounds fascinating. I'll have to look these up as well.

    I just looooove Fables. I can't wait for the next set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kristeve represent, what what

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!