Sunday, February 11, 2007

Mish-Mash

I mistakenly thought I would be working all day, but by this late hour I find myself surfing the net for delectable goodies, fiddling with all things Estella's Revenge in preparation for the upcoming March issue, perusing Craigslist for writing gigs, and posting my next installment on the Dallas blog. I got several pages written on the thesis today, got the reading and planning done for my classes tomorrow, and now I face the daunting task of actually piecing together the paper I'll be presenting at my conference. But enough of that crap....

For those of you who harbor some snark toward The Food Network, do take the time to read this guest post from Anthony Bourdain (quakes with lust) from the Ruhlman website. A little quote for ya:

SANDRA LEE: Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time.

Amen, Tony. Amen.

As I prepare for my flights to and fro New Mexico, I'm faced with the eternal question. What do I take to read on the plane? I admit, I'm a horrible plane reader. I rarely get anything done on a plane besides sleeping, but I'm going to give it the old college try. With a mere hour or so in the air, I'm planning to take the quick-reading American Born Chinese (Gene Yang). I'm about halfway through and it's fantastically odd and delightful so far.

I had delusions of grandurous reading and thought of packing something serious, but I have a hunch that it'll be iPod all the way.

Speaking of...

5 Random Goodies from the iPod:

1. "Hurt"...Johnny Cash
2. "Alison"...Elvis Costello
3. "Falling Down"...Ben Jelen
4. "A Little Less Conversation"...Elvis
5. "Postcard of a Painting"...Maximo Park

With that, I take my leave for the night. I'm itching to post another volume of "Let's Nosh," so look for a tasty recipe or two tomorrow.

Watching: American Pie 2

Edit: My newest post on the Dallas Blog features a new exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art...Fast Forward: Contemporary Collections for the Dallas Museum of Art. It's a collection of modern and postmodern works by such big names as Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, Willem de Kooning and others. Check it out HERE.

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Andi! I hope all is well.

    I can't seem to locate your email address on your blog. Mind dropping me a line at chattiekat@gmail.com? I had to make my blog private, and I'd like to add you as a reader. Thanks, and have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooved what Bourdain said about Rachael Ray. I just can't stand her!!!

    Have fun at your big conference!!! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool about that show. I wish I was in Dallas and could see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I always say: Tony Bourdain is the only smoker I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for tellin' me, Tish!

    Heatheroo, isn't he hilarious. Luuurve him. And thanks! I'm leavin' eeeearly in the morning. It won't be pleasant.

    Soj, I wish you were up this way, too! We'd have a blast at that show.

    LK, couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more Bourdain about Sandra Lee. The woman is truly scary! I can't believe she's on The Food Network.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anthony Bourdain ... mmmmmm - I'm quaking in lust with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les, isn't she though? I cringe every time I see her. And hear her lilting little-girl crap.

    Lesley, good taste you have!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Lord. I just read that Bourdain blog and almost peed my pants. TOO wonderful! Everything I've said, only much funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, Lu! I thought of you when I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant rants from Mr. B.

    And 2 different Elvisseses and a Johnny Cash. Your iPod works quite well doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My iPod loves me, Dale. :)

    And yes, Mr. B. is a brilliant ranter. I *heart* him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!