Thursday, March 22, 2007

Further Spring Break adventures...

Last night I ventured out to Raleigh to meet up with Sherrie (a friend I taught with here in NC). She moved to the big city last year and has since taken it upon herself to search out all the relaxing spots to eat and drink, and we landed at Bahama Breeze for an early dinner.

Oddly enough, considering how many food adventures Elise and I have, this was my first time with Caribbean food. As a result of this experience, I WILL be hunting down a Caribbean restaurant in Dallas as soon as humanly possible.

The menu was chock full of amazing dishes including appetizers of baked goat cheese, coconut shrimp, and entrees of jerk chicken, kebabs, and steak prepared any way imaginable. I decided on the seafood paella. I lust after paella any time I see it prepared on TV, so I jumped at the chance for a big dish of my own. The rice was delightfully spicy and the dish was filled with mussels, chicken, spicy sausage, shrimp, scallops, and fresh fish. Paired with a Bahamarita (the very tip-top in the pic...the multicolored fiesta of a drink), it was a luscious, extremely filling meal.

And the best part? I somehow managed to miss every bit of the Raleigh traffic. Say a little "amen" with me!

Today: reading The Secret Garden for next week's class, writing some things for Estella and waiting to hear if B. will be able to come home tonight. *crossing fingers*

13 comments:

  1. I can't think of paella without thinking of Seinfeld!! I love jerk chicken though.

    Man...you are going to be so HURTING if you end up moving to Normal!! The midwest is pretty limited on exotic food and drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I love paella. Have you be to De Tapas in Dallas? Great paella. The restaurant is really cute and they even have flamenco on the weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.xkcd.com/

    as a blogger, i think you'll appreciate that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love paella, too, Andi. Try this recipe some time. It's pretty easy and you can add scallops, clams, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is a bahama breeze in las colinas! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That paella looks absolutely delish. You made the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there is a Bahama Breeze in Frisco right on Preston road across from Stonebriar mall. I have passed a De Tapas many times and did not know what it was. Now, I am thinking about going there this weekend, or I may check out Bahama Breeze. Glad you are having fun. I did not call back yesterday because I did not want to ruin your vacation with all the legal crap. Continue to have fun, TTFN-Fem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that looks good! I've had Caribbean, in Jamaica, but not paella. I love me some jerk chicken! Next time I'm in Raleigh I may have to hit that place!

    And thank GOD you missed the Raleigh traffic. It is the worst! Especially at the beltline. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bahama Breeze rules! I've been there, oh, two or three times, and loved everything I've had there. I remember having some awesome frozen drinks, but strangely the rest of the memories from those visits are fuzzy.... Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andi,
    you need to move to Louisville. Yeah, we have a Bahama Breeze, but De La Torre's has great paella. There's also Havana Rumba for Cuban food, Sari Sari for Filipino food, the Mayan Cafe...etc.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so want one of those drinks!


    Ari (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're having a good time. We need another girl's day when you come home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steph, I'm a Seinfeld retard so the connection escapes me. Do educate me!

    Iliana, I have not! But I will now!

    Anon, too funny! Thanks for the link.

    Thanks so much, Les! I don't know how I missed that one.

    Thank, Cold! I'll definitely haul my ass over there more often!

    Thanks, Gavin. I thought so. :)

    We should all go there for a girls night, Fem!

    Heatheroo, definitely go the next time you're in Raleigh!

    LOL, Blue! The trappings of fruity drinks, indeed.

    Good Lord, Todd. I didn't realize Louisville is so international. ;)

    Ari, it was yummy!

    Yes we do, E!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!