Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Music City, here I come!


I'm off to Nashville tomorrow for a biggy conference in Children's Lit. Thesis Director left today and I fly out in the morning. Should be a good time as some of her friends are going to be there. She flies back to Dallas on Friday while I'll be staying over until Sunday, so I'll have some time on my hands to lounge and explore. And I'm staying at the Doubletree downtown, so it should be relatively posh and lovely. There's free wireless, so I'll be online plenty, I'm sure. Watch for pictures and updates!

As for the state of other affairs, I'm gearing up to write--sit down if you're not already--my letter to Ill. State declining the PhD. They haven't offered me any money and now is the time to turn them down if I'm going to. I can honestly say this has been one of the hardest decisions I've EVER made, and sometimes I can't even believe that I'm turning this PhD down, but I've come to the conclusion that there are other things I'd like to do with my life right now and flogging myself with stress isn't one of them. While I understand that there are plenty of stresses outside of academia, I'm quite burned out (charred, more like). I plan to secure a position teaching in a community college or try to snag an editing or tech writing job and spend time reading what I want to read, reviewing, working on the 'zine, and writing creatively in hopes of someday landing that fabled book deal. If I decide--at some point, somewhere--to go back, I can do that. If not, I have other options, and they're looking bright.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this saga along and given me good advice, kind words, and encouragement. Decisions suck. I'll let you know if I change my mind again tomorrow. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Nashville sounds like a much needed great time!

    As for turning down the PhD, I think you are making a very difficult but correct decision! You know what's best for you, even if it's hard to make the call. I'm proud of you Andi.

    Oh and you're welcome for the mag. No thanks necessary. I know how you love your HOUSE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi,
    I hope that finally making your decision has taken a lot of stress out of your life! Good luck on your next adventure, whatever that might be :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you have decided to do will work out fine. And while making decisions definitely sucks, don't forget that we can always be crab crackers on a beach in Fiji.

    Have fun in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good decision, Andi. Have fun in Nashville!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I wanna be a crab cracker on a beach in Fiji!
    I was thinking about either becoming a carnie or a clown balloon artist, or a clown ballon artist that travels with the carnivals, but now crab cracker sounds marvelous.
    Frack! here it is 1:09 a.m. and I have not read one single essay for our theory class. I think it is because I am excited about crackin' crabs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your trip to Nashville! Sounds like great fun.

    Regarding your PhD, I'd probably do exactly what you're planning. You definitely need a break and I think you're making a wise decision. Not sure what type of tech writing you are interested in, but if you think you can handle any computer related stuff, drop me an email and I'll see if my hubby needs any more freelancers (for SmartComputing).

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. take in some good music while you are there!!

    Good for you for making that decision.... happy times are ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you have fun in Nashville and I'm so glad you came to a conclusion you're happy with re: PhD. I can imagine the angst you've truly been suffering, trying to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am proud of you. I know it was a very hard decision to make, but I'm glad you took the time to really think hard about and make the decision that you felt was best for you at this time. And, like you said, you can always go later! Especially cause now you'll have more time to write that book and send me more to read ;)

    Have fun and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's to all those other bright options you have ahead of you! Sounds like you are making the right decision. Have a wonderful time in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andi,
    I think this is an excellent decision for you. And, if you change your mind later, the experience you'll gain over the next few years will only enhance your chances at funding. HOWEVER, I think you have a brilliant writing career ahead of you and that ph.d may end up a distant afterthought. Let me know if can help in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like, although difficult, it was the right decision for you. So congrats! And enjoy your time in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Funky!

    Kim, it has! I feel like I've had a million pounds lifted off of my shoulders.

    Thanks, E! Let's get to crackin'.

    Thank ya, BF!

    Oooh, balloon artist! Good call, Fem!

    Les, I'll definitely be in touch about the freelancing. I have a couple of ideas I hope they might be interested in.

    Thanks, Cold!

    Heather T., it really is one of the hardest decisions I've ever made, but I'm at peace with it and really think it's the right thing now. Thanks!

    Heatheroo, I will definitely be sending more for you to read! LOL I have four books swirling around in my head, so I can't promise what it'll be about, but I'll send ya something! :)

    Thanks, Iliana! So far, so good!

    Courtney, thanks SOOOO much. Those words mean a lot coming from you. I'm really excited to finally focus on my writing. We'll see what happens!

    Thanks a bunch, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This article is fantastic; is very interesting and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it... Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!