Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Plane Tickets and the Ph.D. Saga

I can't sleep worth a flip, so I'm up making a flight reservation for a conference in Nashville at the end of March. I'll be flying into Nashville on March 29th and flying back to Dallas on April 1st. I hadn't planned to stay that long, but with the way the presentation schedule worked out, it was the only option. Thesis Director will be leaving on the 30th, so I'll have some time on my own in ole Nashville. We'll see what I can get into.

I'll be staying at the Nashville Doubletree, so if anyone out there is familiar with the downtown area, give me some tips for things to do.

On the Ph.D. front, the latest developments indicate that I'm 1st or 2nd in line for an assistantship, so I'll probably have one offered to me before the end of April. Still waiting to hear from the U. of Florida and Middle Tennessee State.

Decisions, decisions.

I had a whole introspective, thoughtful post planned, but now I find myself lacking the energy to write it. Instead I think I'll lie down for a while longer and if I don't have any luck sleeping I'll read. Two books have me hooked. I expect to finish them both tomorrow after I write a mid-term.

I have a little extra time on my hands this week because the junior college where I teach is on Spring Break, and next week the university has Spring Break. I plan to nap in a multitude of positions for two weeks straight.

And I should get back to my thesis. I haven't touched the damn thing in 3 weeks (or more). I'm three-quarters done, just gotta drive it home.

Listening: "Lonely Tonight"...Matt Wertz

6 comments:

  1. I find that I am expecting myself to be exhausted with the time change thing happening. I know that lots of people are complaining about it during my classes, but me, I didn't have to be up early yesterday morning but I woke up and couldn't fall back to sleep and then I had a hard time falling asleep last night. I woke up this morning early again and thought that maybe I should go back to sleep. It never happened... I figure it is going to catch up with me soon, but I wish it would hurry. Knowing my luck it will turn up when I can't get any extra sleep... :(

    And blogs are annoying when the word verification picture doesn't show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued good luck with the PhD options!

    In Nashville, you'll be two blocks away from Music Row (Broadway), which means more music/beer options than you'll know what to do with. Do I need to get you hooked up with the Nashville girls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time change is kicking everybody's ass out here in CA...

    Lucky you with the PhD options...hope it all works out the way you want it to.

    Don't know nothin' bout Nashville except I imagine you can get some mean BBQ there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's so much traveling going on for everyone in the next few weeks.

    Nashville sounds fun.

    And keep me posted with ISU.

    Oh yeah. And an assistantship did come through for ASU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailana, I had the luxury of sleeping all day today, but of course that just threw me off tonight. And all I really want out of life at the moment is a big fat bowl of ice cream, and all we have in the house is whole grain cereal and sugar free pudding. Damnit. Thanks for stopping in!

    Os, I think my hotel is on the outskirts of downtown, but not certain. I have a friend who lives there so I'm going to rope him into taking me around.

    LK, I am DEFINITELY going to tackle some BBQ. We'll see if it's as good as TX BBQ (I have my doubts). ;)

    Yayyyy re: ASU, Elise! Is it as good an offer as those other two?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats and good luck with the PhD options!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!