Tuesday, May 29, 2007

7 Things - Writing Meme

April, from Della Donna tagged me with this meme (go check out the new issue...it's fantabulous). While it isn't designated a writing meme, I'm making it one because a) it's fun b) I haven't done a writing meme lately (ever?) c) April is one of my writing buddies. So here we go!

Someone writes a blog with seven random facts about him/herself. Then, at the end of the blog, he/she tags seven people by listing their names. These people then need to write their own blogs with seven facts about themselves and these rules stated clearly. It is also required that you leave a comment on the new tag-ees pages, telling them they have been tagged and that they should read your blog (though I'm sure they do already).

1 - I wrote a book when I was 14. It was a religious thriller. Something akin to an R.L. Stine/Frank Peretti love child. Scary indeed (take that any way you like).

2 - As part of a writing assignment in 3rd grade, I had to write a letter pretending to be a soldier. I wrote this faux letter to my cousin Kevin. It made my mom and teacher cry.

3 - I keep a "bullshit book" in which I jot down paper ideas, strokes of inspiration, scenes for novels I might write someday, and passages of fantabulous quotes from books I like. Right now the bullshit book is a plain red journal, but as soon as I fill this one up, I'm moving on to a journal Amanda A. sent me that says "Trailor camp tramp" on the front (pulp-inspired).

4 - I like writing at night. I'm always a loon at night, so those pages tend to be the best.

5 - I just wanna get published!!! And, according to every writer's advice, that is a horrible, pointless goal that will get me nowhere.

6 - I have trouble writing something focused and decent every day, but I do write *something* every day. According to every writer's advice, that is a very healthy and fruitful practice.

7 - I hardly ever back up my work (on a CD, jump drive, etc.). It will certainly bite me in the ass one day.

I tag:

Bookfool, Heather F, Amanda A., Courtney, and three more people who want to play with this meme.

P.S. There's a new post at Estella Scribbles with a link to a very interesting article about a group of successful authors who can't live off their writing. Depressing, but surprisingly upbeat given the focus on writing as community.

9 comments:

  1. I keep one of those books too. It frustrates me a little because when I'm writing I think back to something I wrote down and then can never find it in the book until about 2 years later. Then I think, "Yeah, this would have been helpful then."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I've had that problem, too, Nik. It's not a flawless system. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would do this meme but I'm too busy having a panic attack on your behalf for not backing up. Seriously, BACK UP your work. I even just email all of my stuff to a specified yahoo account - I do other things too but I know if everything else crashes or there is fire most of my stuff can be found in my yahoo account.
    Serioulsy, though, I will do this meme soon. Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Courtney. I have e-mailed the important stuff to myself over time (thesis, stories, novel chapters, etc.), but I don't do it enough. So, I've got a mind to buy a BIG ASS jump drive (multiple gigs) to make it easier. So I'll actually do it. ;)

    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, I'm a totally night owl too. Have you ever tried The Artist's Way? I can't remember how many times I've tried doing that book but it's the freakin' morning pages that make me give up all the time. Who can write 3 pages first thing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the DD plug :P I cannot wait for the next Estella to come out.

    I keep one of those notebooks too, which reminds me, I need to buy a new one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff, really enjoyed reading these.

    "I just wanna get published!!! And, according to every writer's advice, that is a horrible, pointless goal that will get me nowhere."

    You should read John Scalzi's blog, and, if you can get your hands on it, a copy of his nonfiction book "you're not fooling anyone taking your laptop to the coffee shop". It was a limited print run (though all the individual posts can be found over the years on his blog)

    http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/

    He is one of the most honest writers I have ever read. Talks alot about writing to the market, writing to get paid, debunks the whole 'I need to write the great american novel' myth, etc. Great, and ultimately inspiring, stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read that book Carl mentioned. Thanks for tagging me. I might not get to this one for a while, so just nudge me if I forget. I'm having a hell of a week, here. Estella looks terrif. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iliana, I have tried The Artist's Way and it NEVER sticks. Just can't do it. lol

    Thanks, April!

    Thanks a bunch for the recommendation, Carl! It's nice to hear of a writer who addresses practicality!

    Thanks, Bookfool! Enjoy the meme when you get around to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!