Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Busybody rides again!

I know, I'm a horrible blogger...I just have so much going on since I'm back on the East Coast.

Monday I tripped off to Wilmington for a visit to downtown to take pictures for the June "Book Tour" feature at Estella's Revenge. Be sure to give it a look when the new issue comes out on June 1st because I found some freakin' fantastic independent bookstores. That's one thing I love about Wilmington as opposed to Dallas or another metropolitan city, it's small, it's artsy, it's progressive, it's a university town, and indie booksellers can actually survive there. I was delighted by the places I found and the people I met, and I think I might've found some new hangouts.

Today has been filled with blowin' and goin'. I woke up at a leisurely 8:30, but since then I've grocery shopped for tonight's Moroccan Chicken and Lentils (recipe below), mailed a bunch of review books for ER, cleaned the bathroom, did my 30 minutes of cardio, weeded the whiskey barrels out front and planted some flowers, cleaned the kitchen, scoured the freelance ads for new gigs, and finally I'm nestled back in bed with the laptop catching up on my bloggy reading and getting ready to apply for some of those freelance gigs I found this morning.

In an attempt to supplement my nonexistent income, I'm writing A LOT. I just finished a flash fiction piece for a writing contest, and I'm getting ready to whip out some more short fiction for contests. Not to mention the aforementioned freelancing. I've gotten one gig, and I'm waiting to hear from some others.

I suppose I've bored you long enough, so here's the good stuff: pics I shot in Wilmington and a recipe for that Moroccan Chicken and Lentils that I mentioned earlier.

One thing I love about downtown Wilmington is all the little marketplaces on the main drag. This one is called Chandler's Wharf. It has several shops inside, but my favorites are a great art gallery and a kickass shoe store. Unfortunately I can't afford any of the shoes they sell inside.

Hmmfph.

This cute little courtyard is part of the Cotton Exchange, eight historic buildings converted into a multi-story shopping and dining extravaganza. There's a hippie store, bookstores, a shop dealing in everything Celtic, and did I mention the food (German, American, seafood, etc.)?

I spent most of my time in the bookstore and browsing in the hippie store, but I will certainly go back and pilfer their goodies again. I would've loved to try the German cafe on the Water Street side, but I was there on Monday and it was closed.


And finally, all of this gorgeous goodness is located right on the Cape Fear River. This is one of my favorite views, and this one actually came from my car. I parked at a meter on Water Street and got 2 hours for a buck. Given my penchant for bookstores, I was able to hit up two of them for pictures, browse for myself, and walk Front and Water Street. I hit up some of my favorite shops:

Out of Eden Soaps - This is an amazing little store with THE best-smelling soaps and lotion bars I've ever found. I bought the Oatmeal Milk & Honey soap and lotion bar, and I cannot stop smelling myself. It's a little awkward in social situations, but if they smell me then they understand, too. Out of Eden was featured in the March issue of Good Housekeeping Magazine, but I'm proud to say, I FOUND 'EM FIRST!!!!

I'm also a fan of Ladybugs, a store inside one of the cute little markets I showed earlier. While I can't find a web site for them, if you're ever on Front Street in Wilmington, check 'em out. Their entrance is right off of the street. They sell lots of cute little house things and they have THE BEST candles I've ever tried. They're just little votives, but they last forever and smell amazing.

Moroccan Chicken and Lentils

Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Dish

1-2 cans of lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves (I used tenders) chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped fresh parsley (garnish)

Preparation
1. Dressing: Add the olive oil, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, garlic, cinnamon, and salt to a blender bottle or jar with a tight lid. Shake until ingredients are well combined. Set aside.

2. Chicken: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Add onion and sauté until dark brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and sauté 2 minutes. Add salt, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon. Sauté until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer. Add lentils at the last minute, just to heat through.

3. I pour the "dressing" over the chicken while it's still in the pan and let it sit for a few minutes to soak of the flavors. Plate, top with parsley for garnish, and you're ready to go!

I make a few changes to this recipe when I make it.

  • I'm not a huge fan of cinammon, so I put it in the dressing but don't use it in the chicken mixture.
  • I make the dressing as far ahead of time as possible so the flavors marry nicely.
  • I use canned lentils instead of dried (that the recipe originally called for) so that I don't have to go through the whole boiling process. It cuts the cooking time down by probably half.
  • I'm also not a huge fan of using all of the dressing called for in this recipe, so I half the dressing recipe. That adds just enough of a sweet, vinegary kick for me.

12 comments:

  1. Firstly, YUM! Going to have to try that soon!

    Secondly, great pictures from Wilmington! I haven't been throught here in quite awhile. We used to go to Emerald Isle every summer. I kind of miss it. We're going to Myrtle in a couple of weeks though. Yay!

    Thirdly, yay for writing that pays! That's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely! You sound super busy - we need pics of the whiskey barrels at the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to be supportive of the whole relocation to NC instead of Illinois State. It would have been cool to have a good friend relavtively close. However, since we are friends, if being in NC makes you happy then I am all for it. I hope the relocation makes you happy, or at least alleviates some stress. I am posting this on your blog because never got a chance to discuss it because you ditched us the last few weeks you were here. I hope everything works out well. Also, we need to stay in touch even if it through the blog. I am also updating my blog again, and will continue to do so as regularly as possible. You should stop by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to be supportive of the whole relocation to NC instead of Illinois State. It would have been cool to have a good friend relavtively close. However, since we are friends, if being in NC makes you happy then I am all for it. I hope the relocation makes you happy, or at least alleviates some stress. I am posting this on your blog because never got a chance to discuss it because you ditched us the last few weeks you were here. I hope everything works out well. Also, we need to stay in touch even if it through the blog. I am also updating my blog again, and will continue to do so as regularly as possible. You should stop by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh...crap! Damn word verification. Sorry for posting that last post twice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm! Thanks for the recipe. I'm glad to hear you're settling in and doing well. Wilmington looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love Dallas, but I think I could relocate someplace like NC. The bookstores sound great. How's the traffic? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, you make me feel worthless with all that you've acomplished on Wednesday and I'm sure since then! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself and the pic's are beautiful. Have a great time Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Kinda makes me regret not doing undergrad in NC (although I doubt I'd have been anywhere near this gorgeous town anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful concoction of a post: terrific pictures, books, writing, and food!

    Thanks for the heads up on the book tour. I love indies--those college town small bookstores that make you wonder how they can fit *everything* in there, the creaky floor, the handwritten signs, the labyrinth of shelves made of different woods.

    Moroccan chicken sounds like a great dish for a summer evening or a day out to the beach. I've been so lasy with coming up new recipes. So I steal this one and will try reproducing it.

    Happy Memorial Day Weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dish sounds so yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may be a horrible blogger (something I'll never agree with), but I'm an even worse blogger. Just read my posts. I can can an entire week before remembering--holy shit!--I have a blog and e-mail and a blogroll to catch up on.

    I sigh in resignation. But at least I have a good excuse: I'm too busy reading.

    In a week or two, my excuse will be work. Just wait and see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!