Thursday, May 03, 2007

Me! MEMEMEME!

I've been laying down on the job! Both Tanabata and Bookfool tagged me with really fun meme's but the thesis work got in the way for a minute.

First, the restaurant one:

The rules:1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you.
Include the city/state and country you’re in.
Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, USA)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)

2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.

3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they’ve been tagged.

The Tip of the Top!

If you're in Texas, you have to have bbq, right? The best bbq around can be found at Ernie's Pit Barbecue in Greenville, TX . This little joint is about 7 miles from my house and with convenience comes a big ass because I could eat this stuff for-e-ver. Ernie's is a simple place with brisket, brisket, brisket and sides. And if you drop off a brisket and $9 they'll smoke it for you for a holiday gathering and even provide the sauce. We've done this for a number of family functions, and they're meat is always amazing.

As many of you know, if you've been here for more than about 5 minutes, I love Indian food. Love actually doesn't even begin to cover it. The Clay Pit (locations in Dallas and Austin) was the restaurant that got it all started. It's contemporary Indian cuisine and has a great atmosphere. My favorite thing to eat there is the seafood grill, a mixture of grilled salmon, white fish, and prawns over a bed of roasted onions served along with basmati rice. Everything is served family-style, so it's a great place to go with friends, order a mountain of food, and share off of each other's plates.

If you're in Texas you also have to eat the obligatory Tex-Mex cuisine, my favorite of which comes from a small now-chain that started in Texarkana, TX--TaMolly's. One of its first locations, once it branched out, was Greenville, TX (again, right down the road). They have THE best Mexican food around, and it's where I take all of my friends who might be having Tex-Mex for the first time. TaMolly's has a large menu with all the staples: flautas, enchiladas, quesadillas, and nachos that will blow your socks off. No wonder it became a chain!

Another favorite place, also located in Dallas and Houston is Fadi's Mediterranean Grill. First, I have to just say, they have the best baba ghanouge I've ever wrapped my lips around. I even like it better than the hummus, and that's sayin' a lot. It's a gorgeous but still casual restaurant where everything is served up cafeteria-style, and it's not even scary! I like to order the big sampler which is, literally, a little of everything. Dips, breads, every veggie on the line (and it's an extensive line) and a hefty serving of the day's meat specialty (usually a choice of beef or chicken). Fadi's is the only restaurant that ever made me think I could be a vegetarian. Their veggies are just that damn good.

Last, but certainly not least, is one more Texas favorite...catfish! Ole Whiskers is a buffet that started small and has now ballooned into a chain. For about $10 you get all-you-can-eat fried catfish, grilled catfish, chicken, fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, salad, soup, bread, onion rings, fries, baked potatoes, etc. Everything on the buffet, in other words. It's just a huuuuge selection. And to keep costs low, they're only open Thursday-Saturday. It's certainly busy when the doors are open, but it's worth fighting the crowd!

With these luscious goodies in mind, I tag:

Heather F., Amanda A., Iliana, and whoever else wants to play!

One book meme comin' up!

28 comments:

  1. Oh, yum. Brisket, flautas... you're making me drool here. I'm not on the SB diet, but I am trying to drop a few pounds (I have a tasty shrimp salad about to go up on the food blog in the next day or two - stay tuned). You'd think running around a bookstore would help, but they have Cheesecake Factory products in there!! Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. God.

    The Cheesecake Factory products would have my diet tankin' in no time. There's nothing in the world I love more than Cheesecake Factory. Food, dessert, everything.

    I'll definitely keep an eye out for that shrimp salad. I'm addicted at this point. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooooool ....

    Not a good meme to read when you're on a diet! *sob*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUM!!! Especially the TexMex and Mediterranean veggies are stirring up some cravings right about now.
    Thanks for playing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, I hear ya. It was painful typing it up. I would sell my liver for an enchilada at this point.

    No problem, Nat. The Tex Mex and Mediterranean memories are stirring up major cravings for me right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now I'm hungry. I may have to do this AFTER lunch!

    TaMolly's sounds soooooo good. Heck, they all do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heatheroo, it is SO good. I'm craving it, but it's a big no no. Blahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where have I been?! Seriously, I haven't been to any of the places you mentioned! I need to go explore more often :) Thanks for the tag, I'll start thinking of some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been to any of these places either. Gee, maybe, well, nevermind... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun meme! Someone should compile it so that people can read it as a where to eat directory. :)

    Ari (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow, yummm. Gosh. I haven't had Mediterranean anything in years. You have me drooling!!!! Everything sounds sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to Texas, Andi, but you've given me 5 very good reasons to visit!

    Never tasted catfish...will have to remedy that soon!

    So glad you like Indian food, if you're ever in Toronto give me a shout and I'll point you to several authentic Indian restaurants or if you're willing to risk it, send you something I cooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are several Mexican restaurants of varying authenticity in town, as well as a "Cali-style" Mexican place that I love, but we are severely lacking in Tex-Mex. Maybe TaMolly's can open a restaurant in Louisville.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so lucky over there in the US with all the yummy food!

    Although there's a huge variety of ethnic foods over here in London, the quality of standard fare is pretty low.

    The choice is between really scuzzy fastfood joints or wallet-busting haute cuisine :(

    When I was in Chicago I fell in love with pancake houses (Walkers!) and the Red Lobster. Such good value and really yummy!

    We don't have pancake houses over here...maybe I'll take out a franchise if this uni thing tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine is done and up...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Iliana, most of these joints are out in the sticks. The Clay Pit is on Beltline in Addison (right off the tollway) and Fadi's is at the corner of Knox/Henderson and 75. The others would probably be a hellish drive for you, but I think Ole Whiskers has some locations closer to Dallas.

    LOL, Os. Next time.

    Ari, that's a fantabulous idea! Maybe I should take that on. Hmmm.

    Bookfool, it's been too long since I've had Mediterranean, too. Several months at least. And that's the one place on my list that's reallyyyy South Beach friendly!

    Lu, I'm SO glad you're doing this one. I had typed your name in to tag but I tagged you for something else a while back and didn't want to overrun you with memes.

    Lotus, thanks for stopping by! I need to bookmark you, by the way. lol Definitely let me know if you get around to tasting catfish. It's a Texas favorite, and my grandmother use to cook it almost every Friday night. I was at a festival here in town today and a local organization had a fish fry. It was soooo yummy.

    I'll definitely let you know if I'm in Toronto (would love to go there). There are more authentic restaurants close to me than The Clay Pit, but I love their fancy drinks and whatnot. I go to the more authentic places nearer my home pretty regularly, too, and their food is amazing. I've vowed to try cooking Indian food at home, but I've gotta collect all the spices first!

    Todd, I will most definitely put a request for a Louisville location in the TaMolly's suggestion box!

    Ms. Ocean...I love me some Red Lobster. It's where I usually take my mom for birthday dinners and Mother's Day. I love seafood and theirs is always quite decadent (the more butter the better). Love me some pancake houses, too. What a shame that there aren't any over there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grrr! Me so jay-louse! The only good things to eat near me are the falafel from my friendly Egyptian friend down the road.

    I was amazed in RL that they give you water, bread and a salad without charge. Plus because we had to wait a little while (10 mins or so for our food) we got free desserts!

    Hmm, I must blog something about the pitiful state of British nosh sometime =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The catfish looks so good!!! and what?!! $10 buffet?? all me can eat??!! even better!!! Nicely done

    ps I started the tag..very nicely done tag...I've got the updated list of everyone who did the tag...if you know of anyone who did the tag please send me a message..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. ok, Fadi's is first, love Fadi's! Then Tamollys's. Today I tried Ali Baba's-the humus and bread was really good but the curry chicken could have used a bit more spice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WAH.... *drools*

    The Clay Pit... Wooo... I love all the grilling and bbqing and stuff. Oh yeah... HOT HOT HOT!

    and the buffet... woooo... I can feel it now. Oh yeah~

    By the way, thanks for doing the tag :) Open me to a whole new food world :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oceans, I've NEVER had falafel! Isn't that tragic? Must remedy that situation soon. And isn't that the BEST bread at Red Lobster? Those Cheddar Bay Biscuits are heavenly.

    Thanks so much for starting this tag, Nicole! It was sooo much fun!

    Anon, who is you? Is it TheOtherFem?

    Velverse, thanks for stopping by! I loved doing this tag..soo much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha.. yeah it was so much fun and we could gather a long list. :) Such fun~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow -- those all sound very good!! I really like Indian so I should try Clay Pit! You had some new ones that I have not been too, or dare I admit, heard of! =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh, the memories! I love Clay Pit and Fady's. Dallas has such awesome restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there, it's my first time in here... got here from following this meme tag :)

    Btw, I'm curious about your template because it shows the first Indonesian president and pics during the colonial time by the dutch plus I can see the date of Indonesian independence day at the right bottom corner. It's really a nice template. Are you Indonesian? or is there any special reason? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi! i did this too if you want to check it out on myp age.

    i love baba ghanouge so i will def try mediterranean grill if i ever visit your part of the usa!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so stealing this from you ... but I might have to do it a bit differently.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!