Monday, May 21, 2007

North Carolina going strong...


I'm back in NC! This might come as a surprise to most of you, since I'd mentioned coming back once I was done defending my thesis, but several real life factors kicked in that urged me to come over for several weeks until thesis time. I'll go back to TX to defend, get some more stuff, and move more of it over here with me in June. But, for now, I have a gargantuan stash of books, all of my clothes and shoes, a slew of good music, my laptop (and B's broadband), and a new reading lamp to keep me busy. Oh, and I'm job hunting. It would be good to have money in the near future.

Admittedly, the 18-hour drive--which I drove straight, from 3:30am (Central) Friday morning to about 11:00 Friday night (Eastern)--kicked my ass. By yesterday I was pretty well recovered, though.

The little town where I live looks much the same as it did when I left. Pictured above is Front Street. Not sure when that particular pic was taken...1800s I'm guessing. Anywho, it still looks much the same. There are more gas stations and traffic lights, but the bones are there!

Next weekend there will be goings-on in the park for Memorial Day, along with fireworks in the evening. We're planning to take part, and we can see the fireworks from the yard here at home, so we may pull up our lawn chairs in the backyard and grill something. Ya never can tell.

It feels good to be back! I think I'm going to check out the libraries today. The county system actually has several branches. Oddly enough, I've never been to the small one here in town, so I'm gonna see what they have to offer. Then I'll probably hit up the main branch in the next town over.

Other items on the docket:
Finish a flash fiction piece for a writing contest
Apply for more freelance gigs
Vacuum (styrofoam leftovers all over the floor from unpacking my new reading lamp yesterday)
Wash dishes (remnants of last night's kickass turkey burgers)
Read (review book)
Mail review books to the ER reviewers

Y'all have a good day!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Andi! I hope you enjoy your new home and good luck with the job hunting and all that :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sneaking out during the dark of night, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOO NC! Just kidding. I am reading Galatea 2.2 by Richard Powers. It is fab! You should check it out when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy crap you are really gone.

    texas will miss you im sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of fun! I think North Carolina is BEAUTIFUL!! I was thinking about visiting in July (a friend has tickets to a club in Asheville where the Pumpkins are playing before their big tour -- that is totally worth a 12 hour drive!! )

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheesh! I miss a week or so of blog-hopping and you up and move to NC?! Glad you made it there safely. Long road trip! Enjoy your new home. I loved Durham the few times I visited and could easily move anywhere in NC. Well, maybe not in the middle of July. Too danged humid for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess our blow out party is off. Now I'll never start that nasty drinking habit that I have been threatening for the last two years. Good luck in NC
    Love, the other feminist

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are there safely! I lived in north carolina for two years and loved it...i would move back faster than a heartbeat. I would love to move to a small town someday, too. Keep us up to date1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kim! Keep your fingers crossed because I haven't heard from any jobs yet. Eek!

    Os, lol, yep.

    T., haven't heard of that one. Will have to check it out.

    Awww, thanks Cold. I'll be back for a bit in a few weeks.

    Wow, Steph, that would totally be worth the 2-hour drive. I've never spent time in Asheville, but I would really like to.

    Les, I'm remembering the humidity now that I'm here. I had blocked it out as a really bad memory (as did my very curly hair), but I'll survive. :)

    LOL, Fem. I'll be back in a few weeks. We can blowout then.

    Courtney, where in NC did you live? I forget.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!