Thursday, June 21, 2007

Books and food for my sorrows....

What does any red-blooded American nutcase do when she loses out on TWO great jobs??

She shops for books and cooks, of course.

Except, oh yeah, I can't afford books. Thankfully, I raped Elise's Shelfari bookshelf and added an assload of new books to my Bookmooch wishlist. So far I've requested:

Goodnight Nobody, by my lovely and adored Jennifer Weiner
Songs of Innocence and Experience, by William Blake. I *heart* him, too.
Shopgirl: A Novella, by Steve Martin because I adore the movie.

I've added the following to my wishlist (and they're available), but I don't know which ones I'll nab right now:

Brick Lane, (Monica Ali)
Death Comes for the Archbishop (Cather)
My Antonia (Cather)
O Pioneers! (Cather)
Song of the Lark (Cather)
Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky)
The Birth of Venus (Sara Dunant)
Madame Bovary (Flaubert)
The Trial (Kafka)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
The Things They Carried (Tim O'Brien)
Diary (Chuck Palahniuk)
Invisible Monsters (Palahniuk)
Bridge to Terabithia (Katherine Paterson)
Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris)
The Pearl (Steinbeck)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson)
The Color Purple (Walker)
The Optimist's Daughter (Welty)
Ethan Frome (Wharton)
The Waves (Woolf)
To the Lighthouse (Woolf)

Any recs? I have 8 or 9 Bookmooch points to spend. It's scandalous that I haven't read some of these...coughToKillAMockingbirdcough.

As for the cooking, I decided to try out a yummy-sounding recipe I saw in Southern Living when we were languishing in the hospital waiting room last weekend. I could not be more pleased with this recipe for Chicken and Artichoke Salad:

Ingredients
4 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preparation
Stir together all ingredients; cover and chill until ready to serve.

Yield
Makes 4 servings

Lisa Bright, Trussville, Alabama , Southern Living, JANUARY 2006 A Taste of Trussville

This chicken salad is yummy by itself...hot or cold. For a quick fix, I've been making sandwiches out of it on toasted multi-grain bread. It's yummy and easy on the hips.

On the lighter side of the job front, the coordinator from the evil community college called this morning to give me the heads up about some part-time positions that are opening up. At least she's watching out for me.

Many thanks for all of your condolences. You made me feel better. :)

12 comments:

  1. Love Bridge to Terabithia and My Antonia. And, there was another one. Hmm. Okay, but I sort of thought Brick Lane was beautifully written but . . . disgusting? Revolting? Definitely a disappointment.

    I haven't managed to mooch a single book, not one. If you come through here, I'm giving you all those mooch cards. As soon as I get one book sent, I'm un-mooching myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken and artichoke salad sounds very yumm! From your list I've only read To Kill a Mockingbird and Madame Bovary, both very good. Have got a few others buried in the piles around here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend the Trial, it will give you a sense of what we are going through with our current nightmare. Kafka is kind of freaky reading but I like him. I read Crime and Punishment years ago but I really liked it--kind of freaky too and there has been several movies made based on some of its themes. Of course To Kill a Mockingbird is a quick read and it is good. So I recommend these three. Hope to see ya Monday. TTFN-theotherfeminist

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites. I hope you enjoy it! I really enjoyed Shopgirl too. I can't wait for it to come up in my Netflix queue!

    That reminds me, I have Mockingbird, that Harper Lee biography, somewhere at home. I really ought to read it.
    You haven't read Goodnight Nobody yet? I thought you read that ages ago! It's pretty good. Not as good as my fave, Good in Bed. Of course, I'm still try to mooch The Guy Not Taken!

    I'm not much for artichokes. Or chicken salad for that matter. But I'm glad you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, it looks to me like they screwed up Bridge to Terabithia in the movie. Was the book at all like that? I'm running off reputation and a complete lack of first-hand experience with the book, so I could be way off the mark.

    Awww, sorry you haven't been able to mooch! It's gotten so popular that it's really hard to catch a book I want. That's why I went on the book-adding jag yesterday. Now I have some moochables.

    Nat, it is soooo yummy. The pecans make all the difference, surprisingly. Glad to hear you enjoyed both To Kill a Mockingbird and Madame Bovary. I'll probably give those a go.

    Thanks, Fem! I've always been sort of intimidated by Kafka and Dostoevsky, so thanks for the rec!

    Heatheroo, I will definitely give To Kill a Mockingbird a try. I've seen the movie so many times that I just never picked up the book, but now I'm sort of fascinated with Harper Lee, so I'm gonna try it.

    Haven't read Goodnight Nobody. I haven't heard too many great things about it, so I just never got around to it. I'm sure I'll like it, but I'm not expecting it to be a Good in Bed or In Her Shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have quite a few mooch points I haven't gotten to use. It's hard to get the newer books. Yes, read To Kill a Mockingbird :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of good books. Unlike Bookfool, I liked Brick Lane. I'm a big fan of Kazuo Ishiguro. His last book, Never Let Me Go was amazing.

    Too bad I'm not closer to Dallas, I'd drop some books off while you're visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, haven't seen the movie and it's been probably 15 years since I read the book, so I'd say my memory couldn't be banked upon. It's sad but very imaginative - probably really a very hard book to do well in movie form. But, then, most are. I'm a little afraid to see it. I just finished bawling over Miss Potter. I'm a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This month has definitely been about retail therapy for me too. I'm going to have to eat at home every meal next month to make up for my splurges!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you can't go wrong with Cather. I'm starting TKM for my online Classics Club today - no I haven't read it either. Shame on me. We are reading Crime and Punishment later this summer and I just nominated To the Lighthouse for fall. I hope it wins. I'm printing out the recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iliana, I ordered To Kill a Mockingbird a few days ago, and it'll probably be waiting for me when I get home. Yay!

    Purl, a happy coincidence...when I checked for Never Let Me Go on Bookmooch, there was ONE COPY. I snatched that bad boy up, and I hope it arrives very soon!

    Bookfool, I soooo want to see Miss Potter! I don't know if I've added it to my Netflix yet, but I will!

    Me too, Nik!!!

    Kristy, if you don't mind me asking, would you mind posting or e-mailing the address of your classics club? I'd really like to check it out. By the way, I ordered Oh Pioneers! after I posted this. I'm really excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just emailed you the link to your Estella address. I hope you enjoy O Pioneers. I'm loving To Kill a Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!