Monday, June 04, 2007

Catch-all post of the century!

Interview day number one, and I've been up riding the buzz of anxiety since about 6am. While I know I shouldn't be terribly nervous--because a) I can bullshit with the best of 'em and b) I know my stuff)--I am anyway. In theory the nervousness heightens my performance, but in reality I think it just gives me gas.

Outfit picked out -- check!
Lesson plan planned -- check!
Standard answers run over in my head -- check!

The only thing that remains undone is my eyebrow plucking. I don't know how my tweezers always know when I'm in desperate need of them and automatically run and hide, but they do. And they do it well. I'll have to go to the store and get some new ones in a bit or I know I won't get the job. No one with eyebrows this bushy deserves a good job.

In other news, I got in on a VERY lucrative freelance gig, and I'm trying to figure out how to best work my schedule. I have a feeling that blogging is going to remain slow for a while. Just feel secure in the fact that I'm ditching you all for money. Whoring myself for the almighty dollar, if you will. That's understandable, yes?

I've been doing a LOT of reading. I tend to leave the TV off all day and work instead. When I'm not working I generally opt for a book or go out and play frisbee with the pond fish (they're almost as good as dogs).

I finally finished The Human Stain, and it was breathtaking. I picked it up last year and petered out for whatever reason, but I picked it back up and love love loved it. Now I'm solidly into Blood Meridian. I'm not a huge western fan--and this is not a typical western--so I'm moving along steadily if not in a wildly enthusiastic manner. I think the Dante and T.S. Eliot references will be enough to carry me through. We'll see. I'm still hanging in there for the dead baby tree (just read the book).

For my newest reviews of The New Yorkers and 501 Minutes to Christ, check out the latest issue of Estella's Revenge which went online a few days ago.

10 comments:

  1. I had to have a picture taken for my portfolio on the international school job search site, and when I told my mother her response was "Get your eyebrows waxed; I'll pay for it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just feel secure in the fact that I'm ditching you all for money. Whoring myself for the almighty dollar, if you will. That's understandable, yes?"

    LOL you're great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a tad disappointed that you'd whore yourself for money. I thought you were above that sort of thing. Guess we'll have to deal with it...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fine if you're skipping out for money as long as you share the wealth. ;) Hope the interview went well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lu, I love that. Sounds like something my very own mamala would say.

    Soj, thank you, dahling. ;)

    Os, at least I'm whoring my mind and not my twat. See, there are worse things.

    Imani,
    A round of drinks for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh you have been busy! How does one play frisbee with pond fish? That sounds like something out of a fairy tale!

    Ari (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to you with the interview, Andi! Did you ever find your tweezers? Isn't it always that they show up after you bring home the new pair?

    I keep going back and forth about whether to read The Human Stain. I probably should. Especially since you enjoyed it so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did the interview go? I bet you did great!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, have turned to whoring for the almighty dollar. At least I get to surround myself with books, otherwise I'm not sure it'd be worth it. But my blogging has definitely suffered. Sigh. Screw the yard and housework, says she!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, Ari! They're very attentive. I walk to the side of the pond and they follow. I once threw in a small piece of grass and they went after it like sharks. I could've done this game of "catch" for a while, but I thought it cruel since they were probably hoping for food.

    Lit. Feline, they never did show up!! I don't know where the blasted things have gotten off to. They were the really good, sharply slanted ones that I loved, too.

    You should definitely read The Human Stain. It's actually a pretty quick read, and I love Roth's style.

    Update coming up, Iliana!

    Amen, Les! I should be working out while it's cool or cleaning the house before I start writing today, but instead I'm blog hopping!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!