Monday, July 09, 2007

A'travelin' I go! (Inserted here because blogger won't let me put in a title. How screwy is that?)

I started my first book for the Armchair Traveling Challenge, and so far I'm in lurv. I'm about 33 pages into The English Patient, and so far, so good. However, I have to say, this is one of those books I can't read with noise swirling around me. If B. is watching TV or something, I'm cooked. So I'll probably start a light, fluffy book along with this one for reading with noise--like tomorrow when I'm at the Honda dealership at 8am getting a circuit board fixed.

Anywho, Michael Ondaatje's writing is beautiful, and I had to share a favorite passage about BOOKS!

She sat in the window alcove of the English patient's room, the painted walls on one side of her, the valley on the other. She opened the book. The pages were joined together in a stiff wave. She felt like Crusoe finding a drowned book that had washed up and dried itself on the shore. A Narrative of 1757. Illustrated by N.C. Wyeth. As in all of the best books, there was the important page with the list of illustrations, a line of text for each of them.

She entered the story knowing she would emerge from it feeling she had been immersed in the lives of others, in plots that stretched back twenty years, her body full of sentences and moments, as if awakening from sleep with a heaviness caused by unremembered dreams.

Ahhh, to be in a burned out Italian villa with a thief and a burned-to-a-crisp guy. It never sounded so romantic and lush!

In other news, there's not a thing goin' on around here. That is, there is quite a bit going on, but nothing terribly out of the ordinary or interesting. I got an e-mail from D-rock (prof) last night, asking that I write a conclusion for a review that will be in print shortly (yay!), and I have every intention of editing articles for my freelance gig as they pop up today. I will also be cleaning (blarrrrg) as my stuff from moving in is still scattered about, and I shed like an ape (if apes shed), so I need to sweep the bathroom floor.

Exciting life, yes? I love it. Who cares if it's exciting. I'm quite the content munchkin bookworm.

14 comments:

  1. I loved that book so much! Anil's Ghost was also good. And this reminds me that I have his memoir on my TBR stack.

    Mmm...I'm dreaming of July 27 when I can pick up a book again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten he wrote Anil's Ghost! I used to lust after that book every time I saw it, but I never took the plunge. There's another for my bookmooch list. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, the ape comment made me laugh out loud because I'll be an ape's aunt if I wasn't just thinking this morning "It looks like I could make a wig out of what's in the sink."

    Great minds, Andi. Great minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shed??? You must be far hairier than I ever would have given you credit for...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot! I used to have The English Patient. Now I have no idea where it is. I'm not sure I even own it any more! Will go check out Mooch!

    There's too much going on around here at the mo', so revel in it whilst you can! You're so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to put together a list for this challenge. But English Patient seems like a good place to start. I love his writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with this Challenge, and congratulations on the thesis revisions.

    Curious to see what your take is on either Native Son or To Kill a Mockingbird because, frankly, those are the only two I've read.

    I've seen The English Patient in the movies. But one should never judge a book by its movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nik, it's kinda scary isn't it? Our little hair catcher in the shower is MIA, so I know I need to buy something before we clog up the whole neighborhood.

    Os, you have no idea!

    Heatheroo, I think you'd really like it! Mooch like the wind!

    Matt, his writing is fantastic. I can't wait to read more!

    X., "never judge a book by its movie" should be a bumper sticker! You'd make a million. I'll be sure to pass along my opinion on Native Son and To Kill a Mockingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to hear you are enjoying The English Patient, Andi. It's one of my favorite movies and I've been wanting to read the book for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely give The English Patient a go ASAP. I'm looking forward to watching the movie when I'm done with the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I have a Seinfeld moment with this book. Did you ever see the episode where everyone loved this movie but Elaine?? The book is kind of like that for me! Everyone loves it but me!!

    Just call me Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked the English Patient and I took a screen writing course about 2 years ago. One of the scripts we looked at was the one for the English Patient. I have to say, because he was involved, visually it fit well with parts of the book but I always think it is hard to get that entire substance and detail from a novel.

    I have a book of his poems that are lovely...The Cinnamon Peeler. You might want to check that out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love The English Patient - both the film and the original novel. It's the way he writes it, as though he can't decide if it's poetry or prose, so he just fuses the two, and you end up with a lush, lyrical work.

    There was the metaphor of the cactus that would refill every morning. Minghella took that from the novel and gave it to Ralph Fiennes, so that was one of the last declaration of love to Katherine before Almasy left to find help.

    I also love the way they expanded on lines from the novel and the words end up richer in the film.

    As you can tell, I love it lots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved The English Patient!! It has such a pleasant rhythm, don't you think? I loved his memoir, too. Running in the Family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!