Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Day in the Life, or Ode to Random Crap

Bits:

I've always been sort of jealous of those people who could whip random ingredients laying around their kitchen into a wonderfully tasty impromptu meal. Well, tonight I became one of those people! All of a sudden I had a wicked hankering for my grandmother's chicken and rice which I've never known how to make. But, on the spur of the moment, I managed to pluck two chicken steaks (REALLYBIG breasts) out of my freezer, throw them into the oven with brown rice, mushroom soup, celery soup, garlic salt, minced onion, sea salt, black pepper and paprika, and VOILA. I had something very closely akin to what my grandmother used to make. I'll eat the leftovers without complaint. Given, it ain't duck pate or anthing, but I was pretty tickled with myself for pulling it together.

*****************

I wrote the ending of my novel yesterday. This is an important step because the ending is all I've actually put to paper at this point. Now I just have to decide how to start it and what goes in the middle. You'll notice a new word counter on the sidebar to help track my progress. Thanks to Nik for that!

*****************

I've been invited to attend a local book club! One of the first things I began to inquire about when I moved, was a new book club. I hadn't been able to attend the one in TX for some time due to scheduling conflicts with my classes and teaching duties, so I'm rarin' to get back in the face-to-face book discussion loop. It's generally anywhere from 8-20 attendees that meet in an individual's home. There are several local college instructors and professors who attend and a woman who does photography and used to work with an art gallery. How exciting! I'm tickled at the opportunity to meet new people in this area, and the woman who invited me to the group is very nice. August 20th. Mark your calendars!

*****************

I made a special stop at Target today to get a paperback copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to re-read before the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on Saturday. I'm a nut. I realize this. Admitting the problem is the first step. Anyone who tries to pry Deathly Hallows from my fingers this weekend is liable to lose an arm.

*****************

We still have a mouse. He's a smart one.

*****************

I have a ginormous half-watermelon in the bottom of my refrigerator. B.'s dad brought it over earlier and I've already started hollowing it out one juicy bite at a time.

*****************

That is all.

Listening on ye olde iPod: That Timbaland/Nelly Furtado/Justin Timberlake song about "Da Club."

12 comments:

  1. I like throwing crap together and making it taste yummy that's awesome that you got something close to one of your grandmothers recipes! Sound good.

    Congrats on the ending of your book. That is awesome. Can't wait to read the beginning and middle!

    Wow - a real book club. I've never actually been to one that didn't revolve around drinking and talking about the book for approximately 6 minutes before going into sex conversations and other girlie things. I bet actually having intelligent converstation about a book you've read is rather interesting!

    I didn't re-read the last book but I probably should have and if anyone thinks I'm giving up my Potter this weekend they are nuts. My only gripe is that I end up reading too fast and then being sad that it's almost over and this one is REALLY almost over :O( They are having a Harry Potter release party in the little town square by me on Friday night. The local pub is even turning itslef into the Leaky Cauldron!!! I can't wait to be a big nerd and go check it out!

    Mmmm watermellon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My version of "throwing crap together to create something yummy" is ordering selections from a delivery menu. I admire your culinary skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound good - I am the queen of throwing stuff together for a meal, and it doesn't hurt that The Boy will eat anything.

    Congrats on the book ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on writing the ending! I'm not necessarily very good at them most of the time, but throw together dinners are my favourite kind!
    H has already assumed that we're not doing anything this weekend because of Harry. I told him I can't read all weekend, but then again... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I'm very happy you finished the novel. You can go on holiday now;-)

    www.Bookclover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've joined a local book club as well - I start in August too. Mine is much smaller than yours though and oddly, made up solely of women who work for non-profits. we'll see how it goes. Have a great weekend with Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's always one mouse in the bunch who's smarter than the rest. When I got them in my kitchen four or five years ago, it took me a couple of extra days to get the last one. What finally worked was peanut butter on a sticky trap, and vigilance.
    Being single, then a single parent a lot of my adulthood, I've learned to improvise in the kitchen out of necessity. Plus, I have a habit of marrying women who can't really cook.
    Fortunately, I love to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh cool, you'll have to share all the scoop on your new book club. Hope it's fun.
    And, hurrah on your novel ending! Celebrate all the milestones I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am chomping at bite waiting for my potter book....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funky, I've never been to a book club with that much drinking, but it sounds awesome!

    I read Half-Blood Prince so fast that I can't remember a think about it. I'm glad I decided to re-read or I'd probably be lost on Deathly Hallows. How fun that the pub is going all Leaky Cauldron! I love it!

    LOL, Imani. Sounds good to me. Less dirty dishes.

    Cold, yay for boys who will eat anything!

    Same here, Nat. B has been warned. While I now claim I'm not going to get a copy at midnight, we'll see how that actually pans out. I might change my mind.

    Courtney, what are y'all reading? I hope you enjoy it!

    Johnny I think I'm going to have to resort to the peanut butter on the glue trap. We've been using peanut butter scented glue traps, but obviously that's not strong enough. Time to whip out the big guns!

    Will do, Iliana! It feels good to have a destination in mind.

    Me, too, Corinna! At the same time I'm sad that it's going to be over. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool on the successful dinner. I attempted to cook a simple tomato sauce in my crockpot last night and came home to find it burnt!! How is that even possible??? I'm really amazing. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like something my grandma used to make! You should try it with pork chops, if you like pork chops that is. It's yummy over a big thick slice of toasted bread too. Yumm....

    Yay for novel endings! Maybe I should try that with my novel. Maybe then I'd start writing on it again! I know how I want it to end. It's the beginning I'm not happy with.

    Oh I can't wait to get my hands on that book Saturday!!!!! Squeee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!