Monday, July 02, 2007

Junkie...

First, don't forget to check out the new issue of Estella's Revenge. We've got lots of children's lit/young adult goodies! Go HERE. You know you want to. We have tons of great interviews, articles, columns and reviews. AND we're giving away a copy of Neil Gaiman's new novel, InterWorld.

Second, I just caved. Caved caved caved. I haven't bought a brand new sparkly book in ages. You'll generally find me, as of late, in places that don't require money. In other words, online mooching from BookMooch. I used to be a big believer in Half-Price Books, but sadly there are none here in NC, and even half-price books come at a price (it's built into the title, see).

However, today I remembered a wonderful, wonderful thing. I had some money left on an Amazon gift card, and I've been fiddling about wondering what to spend it on for ages. Welp, today I finally decided!


The Secret Lives of People in Love, by Simon Van Booy (former Estella's Revenge review and an upcoming interview) and Special Topics in Calamity Physics, by Maria Pessl (all the rage in the bookish circles). I've been lusting over these two for some time now, and I actually had The Secret Lives of People in Love in my Amazon cart for over a week. Thank goodness I remembered the gift credit or it might still be sitting there wishing I'd order it!

I think the beast is calm for now. But I still need to hit up Bath and Body Works' $5.00 signature series sale. I can get my Japanese Cherry Blossom fix!!!

14 comments:

  1. I always checked to see if the indie have decent used copies in stock before I buy a brand new copy, unless it's something I'm dying to have.

    Green Apples even has a Recent-Arrival Used shelf that stocks anything published over the past 6 months.

    Also I tend to spend more at the beginning of the month and then go easy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. God. I am so excited for you to read Special Topics.

    You're going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special Topics is great; you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hum, perhaps I should try Special Topics if it's all the rage. Congrats on job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Half Price nearby? Oh sadness. I think you were definitely overdue for a book treat so glad you did a bit of shopping at Amazon. Can't wait to check out Estella's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is this Special Topics of which you speak? Sounds like I need to head over to Amazon and scope it out!

    I've always hated we didn't have a Half Price books. The shame.

    Don't forget you have 3 more books winging their way across the state to you. I would guess you'll get them Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am dying to read Special Topics. You lucky devil. It's still on my wish list. I can't justify buying anything or I'd sneak that one in. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

    And, I'm going to be bouncing up and down, here, waiting to see what you think of Simon's book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dying to read Special Topics too! Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

    Do you mind if I add a link to my blog for Estella's Revenge? I love the ezine and think everyone should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I received a $5 reward from Borders and had a 20% discount thingy for Borders and they allowed me to use both on one purchase. So I bought the Special Topics book for a little over $7 bucks. I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have not forgiven Half Price Books for paying me $1 for about ten good books I gave them, including textbooks.

    Corporate America disgusts me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Matt, the recently arrived used shelf sounds great! I could ravage that puppy endlessly.

    Katie, thanks for coming by! I cannot, CANNOT wait to read Special Topics. I was just drooling over the website.

    Thanks, Lu! Looking forward to it. In fact, I hope it arrives today!

    Iliana, I hope you enjoy this issue of ER! I am sad that there aren't any Half-Prices around, but it does save me some $$$.

    Heatheroo, DEFINITELY go check out the description of Special Topics! It's a book lover's bookgasm to use Amanda's term.

    Nancy, I couldn't have justified it if it hadn't been for that wonderful fantabulous leftover gift card. I can't believe I made it last almost six months!!! I can't wait to get my hands on Simon's book, too!

    Stephanie, we'd be honored if you added a link to Estella from your blog! I'm glad you enjoy the 'zine! :D

    Fem, I hope you like it! I hope I like it, too! ;)

    Soj, I don't sell my stuff to them because their payments are so deplorably low. I'll buy from 'em all day, but I find that I'm better off trading my books on Bookmooch or just selling them on a forum like Amazon marketplace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had a copy of Special Topics since December and am ashamed to say I stil haven't read it. What is wrong with me!?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is shocking, Lesley! Although, I also have a habit of waiting a really long time to read stuff....even if I'm dying to get it in my hands. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!