Thursday, August 30, 2007

Calling Concerned Bloggers!


As a long time reader of the Baking and Books blog, I am absolutely thrilled to pass along word of the event and organization for which Ari is fundraising. She writes about the 76 books taking over her kitchen table:

The books are part of a raffle I'm running in order to raise money for the 2007 New York Jewish Environmental Bike Ride. But rather than just ask you to donate to this cause I decided to ask publishing houses like Hyperion, Ten Speed Press, Penguin, HarperCollins, Wiley and Chronicle to spice things up by donating some of my favorite books as prizes. Lo and behold they answered the call, and as a result there are currently 76 prizes up for grabs. For every $5 donation to this very worthy cause participants will be given one virtual raffle ticket - and yes, people with more than one ticket can win more than one prize!

The bike ride is held by Hazon (www.hazon.org), a Jewish non-profit organization that has been doing some incredible food work over the past few years, educating people across the US about organic farming, sustainable agriculture and food justice. Hazon has created 10 CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture projects), a Food Conference, and is currently working on food curricula that will teach kids & adults about a vast array of important topics surrounding food, nutrition and the environment. Hazon's bike rides raise money for environmental & peace making projects in the US and Middle East. They also fund the CSA's, the food curricula and the Food Conference - so you can see why I want to raise money for the NY Ride. I believe in what Hazon is doing.

For a full list of prizes & more details please visit: http://www.bakingandbooks.com/foodies-unite/ This event is a chance to help the environment, support education and win fantastic books - which sounds like a win-win situation to me. :)

2 comments:

  1. sweet- I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I hope you did! It's a great cause!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!