Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Estella Answers Five



The August "revival" issue of Estella's Revenge is online as we speak! Go over and check it out. We have a ton of great interviews, articles, reviews, columns, and miscellany for you to dig through. For those of you who read here regularly, you'll find my "Finis, or a Treatise on Reading" a repeat from a post you saw here first (I'm a slacker!).

Johnny Yen recently tagged me for the "Five Questions" meme, and here's what he wants to know:

1. If you could be there to change just one event in history, what would it be?

Oh heavens, so many to choose from. Which atrocity should I choose? We'll go with the Holocaust. I would've picked Hitler off in a heartbeat if given a gun (or a really powerful slingshot). I suppose I have a new appreciation for the trials that those lost souls (both German and Jew) went through thanks to the wonderfulfantastic The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. It's the tale of a little German orphan girl who just can't quite figure out all the hatred in the world. It's not maudlin or overwrought, it's just perfect. One of the best books I've ever read, and it's quite different from any other Holocaust fiction I've read. If you haven't already, dear God, give it a go. You'll wanna buy me shiny things as tokens of thanks when you finish it.

2. If you could be any actor or actress who ever lived, who would it be, and why?

Vivien Leigh! Gone with the Wind is my favorite movie of all time (in a constant race with Donnie Darko), and Vivien Leigh was one of the most beautiful women of all time. I'd give a kidney to look like that AND play one of the best bitches ever written.

3. What was your favorite Saturday morning cartoon show?

Garfield and Friends!!! I used to wake up around 7am every Saturday when I was little, and wake my mom up. She would toss me the remote and nap a while, and I always watched Garfield and Friends. I adored that show beyond all others, and a few years ago, for Christmas, B. surprised me with it on DVD. Yayyyy! Now I can watch it any time I want (although very rarely at 7am on Saturday).

4. Beatles or Rolling Stones?

Rolling Stones! All. The. Way. "Paint it Black" is one of the bestestest songs everrr. It never leaves my iPod.

5. If you could be any fictional literary figure ever, who would it be?

Um, Estella! Estella, from Great Expectations, is another one of those literary bad girls that I can't help but love to hate. Do you see a pattern here? The literary bitches rock!

If you'd like to perpetuate the meme, simply answer the following questions on your blog and let me know that you did so in the comments:

1. If you could be any pair of shoes what would you be?

2. What is your favorite movie to look at? In other words, which film do you find visually stunning above all others?

3. If you could learn to speak any language what would it be and why?

4. What was your favorite meal from childhood?

5. If you wrote your autobiography, what would the title be?

5 comments:

  1. Hey Andi....just wanted to make sure you got my friend Colette Gale's book in the mail. :-)

    Thanks again for posting the interview! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Colleen! Thanks for dropping by. I did Colette's book and I can't wait to read it! Maybe ER can set up an interview with Colette at some point, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating answers!

    1. I love how you're able to tie that question in with your passion, literature! I'll have to check that book out.

    Did you ever see the movie "The Dead Zone?" There's a scene in it where Johnny (played by the Christopher Walken) asks his doctor what he would do if he had a chance to stop Hitler. His doctor, who actually survived the Nazis, tells him: "I'm a doctor. I'm sworn to heal and protect people. So I'm afraid I'd have no choice but to kill the son of a bitch..."

    2. That's Kim's favorite movie. I can't get past the whole mangling of history (glamorizing the Southern cause). Vivian Leigh definitely was a knock-out, though. And according to her husband, Laurence Olivier, she was a handful.

    3. I'm totally dating myself, but that cartoon came out when I was an adult!

    My son Adam loves Garfield cartoon books.

    4. Paint It Black is a great one-- a song that brings you back to that time. They used it as the opening song in the series "China Beach," which was about the Vietnam War.

    A friend of the family had a jukebox in his basement. "Paint It Black" was the first song I'd put on whenever we went to visit.

    5. I'm ashamed to say that I've never read Great Expectations, only seen the movie. I should add that to my list of "Things to do Before I die..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what? Think I'll give the meme a try. Give me sometime to think about the answers though.

    And I have to come up with 5 different questions in return?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny, I love that line from The Dead Zone. I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a winner!

    I didn't realize "Paint it Black" was the China Beach theme song. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I must've forgotten.

    Definitely add Great Expectations to the "before you die" list. It's fantastic!

    Thanks for participating, Dark Orpheus! Yes, come up with five questions to keep the meme going. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!