Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Fall Schedule Meant to Kick My Ass


With the beginning of the semester approaching fast, I'm beginning to feel the familiar excitement of meeting new students and teaching new classes. Of course, one hopes that the classes won't be filled with douchebags, but there's always the distinct possbility.


This semester, I'm not only a little anxious and excited about the students, but also working for new institutions. Although, I have to admit, I'm beginning to wonder what I got myself into as I look over my grueling schedule.

It's shaping up a little something like this:

Monday - Friday, 8am class at Far Away Community College

Monday night, 6:oo-8:30 PM - Class at Really Close Community College

Wednesday nights - 6:00-8:30 PM - Class at Really Close Community College

Tuesday/Thursday nights, 7:30-9:45 PM - Class at Far Away Community College

So, yeah. I'm teaching four classes, three of which are at night and a really effin' early morning class. Now, the reason for this, and the reason I don't think it will continue. I was a late addition for the morning and night classes at Far Away Community College. Additionally, I was a really late addition at Really Close Community College, but by some chance, I managed to get two night classes that only meet once a week. They're 10 minutes from home, so who really cares when they meet.

I will also be tutoring in the Writing Center at Far Away Community College after labor day and through December. So, it breaks down a little something like this: full days with a few multi-hour breaks in between the tasks for sanity, working out at the fitness center and writing my novel/reading fun stuff.

The upside, is that I've taught all of these classes before, so I don't anticipate a whole heck of a lot of new planning. I also generally enter hellish semesters with an "I can do anything for four months!" attitude. Especially when it means getting ahead on student loan repayment and possibly buying a new car.

This car, just in case you were wondering. A Toyota Camry Hybrid! Wheee!

The English department head at Far Away Community College loves me and wants me to teach online classes and closer together in the day classes for him in the Spring, so I anticipate a break from this grueling schedule once this semester is over. It'll be tough going for a while, but I think once I settle into a groove everything will be peachy.

Either way, I'm very excited to start my new position. I'm happy that I won't have to take any classes of my own this semester, and I just hope it doesn't kill me. But, you all know that I'm hapy when I'm ridiculously busy. I'll probably bitch here often, but just remember, I really like the torture. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

9 comments:

  1. Wow you are going to be a busy girl!! be sure to work in plenty of blogging time!

    I think the Camry is an excellent way to go, I have always been a fan of their longevity.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new car! I really want to get a hybrid.

    I hope far-away college isn't a really lousy commute. I am not a morning person. But your jobs sound great, and hopefully your students will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're proud of you, Ms. Andiroo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you have time to read Andi? :)

    I think you'll be busy but still having fun with the class discussions. Teaching has enlightened me through the discussions with students.

    Fall is off-term for TAing so I'll focus on writing the dissertation, and, of course, lots and lots of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is quite a schedule. Looking forward to hearing all a bout it and, of course, how the novel progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be one busy woman! I am so excited for you! I love that car, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cold, I will definitely work in the blogging time. :) I love the freakin' Camry, sexy and holds its worth. Yes, please.

    Purl, thanks! It isn't too bad. It's about 30-40 minutes depending on traffic and traffic lights. I'm not a morning person either, but once I get in the groove it's not so bad.

    Thanks, Os!

    Matt, I'll make time to read! LOL All those down hours between classes will come in very handy for reading and writing. Teaching is quite enlightening, and I always learn something from my students.

    Thanks, Courtney!

    Thanks, Lit Feline! I'm excited about both, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh pretty car.
    You'll do great no doubt! When do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iliana, I start on August 20th. Right around the corner! I don't know where the time has gone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!