Monday, August 13, 2007

Sticky post! Scroll down for new stuff!

In honor of this blog approaching 60,000 hits, I've decided to run a contest in honor of all the lovely readers crazy enough to keep coming here and reading my drivel. The prize, you're wondering?? A book, of course!


A pristine hardcover copy of Pilgrim, by Timothy Findley. I read this book several years ago after falling madly in love with the premise, and it didn't disappoint. Findley, a Canadian author, is terribly underappreciated, so I offer you this opportunity to get to know him a little better. Sadly, he passed away in 2002, but he left a rich literary legacy behind.

A little about Pilgrim:

Timothy Findley's Pilgrim is the story of a man who can't die even though he tries over and over to kill himself. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, in 1912 he's placed in a Zurich clinic where Carl Gustav Jung is hard as work trying to determine the perimeter of the collective unconscious. For Jung, this man becomes an embodiment of the psyche's mystery. Claiming to have no past history but to have simply arrived one day at consciousness, Pilgrim lives in a limbo outside individuality and subjectivity. He's everyone and no one. Is he a messenger? Or is he a basket case? As the novel gathers momentum, we realize that Pilgrim is a character much like Virginia Woolf's Orlando, traversing gender and time, a witness. But whereas Woolf is a feverish and emotional writer, Findley is philosophical and dry, playful and slightly pretentious. Imagining conversations between Pilgrim and Henry James, Leonardo da Vinci, and Oscar Wilde, this novel is like a party full of beautiful guests.

To enter the drawing, simply leave a comment along with your blog link (if it isn't suitably linked to your username). I'll draw and notify the winner on August 15th!!!

30 comments:

  1. Free books? I am so totally there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Though it's not like I never get free books from you, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shamefully, although I know he's a great writer, I haven't read any of his work. What's worse is that I'm Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always looking for new (to me) Canadian authors - so I'm in!

    In case the link in my username doesn't work, my blog is
    http://sycoraxpine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in! I've heard about this book but never picked it up for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll play if only I get that hawt vid from your adult dvd collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey the 15th is my birthday, so I should totally win by default!! Muahahahaha. I kidddddd... I suppose if I don't win I can go pick it up at 1/2 Price

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Melissa. Technically you get those books from publishers. I'm jsut the messenger. So, enter this contest all ya want! ;)

    Chris, he might be your next big literary love!

    Thanks, Pour! For stopping by and entering the contest. :)

    Imani, I think it's something you could really dig into. The links to philosophy, art, etc. are really lovely. It's an intertextual feast!

    Oh, Johnny, you big perv.

    LOL, welcome to the contest, Cold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to be away for so long and congrats on all the job prospects. I LOVED your entry about reading; you completely described me!

    And I love Timothy Findley: I've ordered a few of his books from a Canadian publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I'll always take another book! (Much to my cheap Walmart bookshelves' chagrin...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops...here's my webpage: www.glitterlessgold.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How good could it be if it's free? I mean really! :-) Happy almost 60,000!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back, Purl! I'm so glad you're enjoying your down time. :) And what have you read by Findley? To this point Pilgrim is the only one I've read (and very much enjoyed), but I have The Piano Man's Daughter on my pile.

    Oh, Jen, I know how to find you. ;)

    Good deal, Kristy!

    That's OK, Dale, I can charge you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. And that was me. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo-hoo to approaching the 60,000 hits! Very well deserved :)

    And, yes please count me in for the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Oh, Oh (waves hand around) pick me! Pick me!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there I am new to the world of blogging and am loving all these excellent blogs I am finding including yours. Please put me in your hat. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Willing to drop that in the post to Bangladesh?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank, Iliana! Gotcha!

    LOL, Johnny.

    Thanks, 1stsnowflake!

    Sure, Lu. No problem!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, shucks, I can't say no to joining in on a book drawing of any kind. You know where to find me.

    60,000 hits, huh? Wowsers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. 60,000! That's such a huge number. Yay!

    Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love to be entered into the drawing :) This book sounds right up my alley...I've never heard of it or the author. I love the cover image as well.

    Love your blog by the way and your header image is great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Intertextual feast" you say? Whether or not I win it I may pick up a copy anyway. I live for that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your new header with the carp!
    I wish I could join your contest but I already have a copy of Pilgrim, even though it is a scruffy paperback. I really should finally read it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  25. not entering just wanted to say WICKED! i have that book i read it a few years ago. in soft cover though. would of course be nice to have it in hard cover but as mentioned i do own it already have only read it once but have always considered it high on the list of great books i have read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! That's a lot of hits! Good for you. I think my numbers (of daily visitors) have dropped a bit since my vacation and lack of book reviews. Time to start reading faster!! Or giving up on some sleep.

    I'd say yes to the offer, but I have far too many books languishing on my shelves, waiting to be read. Someday I'll get a copy. I keep hearing great things about it, so I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you finally read some Findley. :) I love the man, it was such a loss when died.

    Did you ever read The Piano Man's Daughter? It's my favourite by him, and one of my all time favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow - 60K hits - that is an occasion to mark!

    Count me in...I have never read Findley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!