Thursday, September 27, 2007

I'm back and I'm plucky...

I think my students sort of want to run for the hills when I'm in a good mood. This morning, for instance, I suggested that maybe we should all have a class song that we sing in the morning. They're often assailed with my rambunctious versions of show tunes and things like that. They were apparently feeling rather plucky today, too, as they all began singing various "good morning" kids show songs when I suggested it. For a moment, they were not too cool to joke around. Always a good way to start the day.

But that's beside the point. I lived through my virus, I'm upright (a big improvement), and I almost have my head on straight from taking on the new class and getting caught up with my regular classes. If I can live through this week, I feel sure I'll be able to get my head on straight and not feel so freakin' overwhelmed. Cross your fingers.

I found out a very happy accident this morning. Far Away Community College has fall break on October 8th and 9th. B. and I have big plans (if they don't fall through) to go vacationing in the Smoky Mountains that weekend to do a bit of sightseeing, much relaxing, and much much gambling. Fall break at one college--while not breaking at the other--means that I would need to shirk off my Monday night class in order to go vacationing. Found out this morning that we can't meet that night anyway because the high school extension where I teach has open house!!! Woohooo! A free night off. Swwwweet.

Not much else going on. I got the new SIMS 2 expansion pack--Bon Voyage-- and I effin' love it. If I could spend every waking moment on my computer, I would. That's how wonderful it is. If you haven't yet given in to the pull of the SIMS, do it now. But make sure you have some sick days saved up.

Reading reading reading, writing articles, working on my short stories, yadda yadda. I should be back to you with a book review tomorrow or perhaps later on in the weekend. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

  1. Yay for getting over being sick. Were you at least able to indulge in a lot of good reads?
    I read the Della Donna article you wrote on contentment. Good stuff girl. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better and back to tormenting your students! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're on your feet. I think I would have hated a teacher that made me sing.

    I remember the days when I would spend more than 10 hours a day on weekends playing Sims 2. I bought the College and Night-life expansion set -- until I realise I'm spending more time on Sims than on my own life. So I had to stop.

    It sucked the life out of me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, already looking forward to days off from work...

    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, did you catch the class singalong on cell phone?

    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hills are alive with the sound of caterwauling students. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear you have been sick!But glad to know you are better. I have never made my students sing, for all kinds of reasons. I remember the year when one student broke into a Witney Houston number for no apparent reason, and I also remember her leaving college with some mental difficulties. I agree the situation would be completely different if I instigated it, however! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!