Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Deluge of Retail Therapy (At the Worst Time)

I went to the bookstore.

I know, I know, enough said. But today I was really bad. I'm usually pretty bad, but not THIS bad. I actually went with good intentions. Two students with transportation issues wanted to take part in an optional class project involving the reading of The Giver (Lois Lowry), so they gave me their money and I purchased their books for them.

But then I browsed. And I browsed some more. And I almost managed to walk out with nothing but the books for my students, but just as I rounded the corner to approach the cash register, I REMEMBERED! I remembered that I wanted that damn Miranda July book (No One Belongs Here More Than You). In hardcover.

So I bought it.

And after I finished fondling it, as I was still standing near the shelves, I saw another book that I wanted a few years ago when it was shortlisted for the Booker prize, and then I forgot about it for a few more years, but miraculously remembered when I saw the title. And then I saw the cover, and it was beauuuutiful, and I picked it up. And that was the end. It was mine (The Electric Michelangelo, by Sarah Hall).

And then they tempted me with cheap bookmarks! ($1 a piece.)

And my lips were chapped!!! I had to have a tube of Burt's Bees since I've been out of it for a while.

And then the associate at the register mistakenly rang me up as a Millionaire's Club Card member and I got to see ALL THE MIRACULOUS SAVINGS!!! So I actually did get a Millionaire's Club Card in the end because I really did want the miraculous savings.

And by the end, I'd spent $13 of my students' money and....

$50.00 of my own.

But, the good news is that I got my first *real* paycheck yesterday with ALL of my toil on it (unlike the first measly check), so I actually did have money to spend. Nevermind the fact that I need to purchase a plane ticket to Texas in the next day or so so I can go see my mom for a week at Christmas. And nevermind the fact that I owe some loan money. Or the fact that I'm going to Memphis October 31-November 2.

But I got a tote bag free with my purchase!!!

16 comments:

  1. The story sounds so...familiar...to me!

    I can relate buying more than I anticipate to whenever I visit the bookstore. Titles that I've forgotten would pop up as I'm plodding down the aisles! At least you spend money on books and not other silly indulgence.

    Is the club card really called Millionaire's? :) that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I love this kind of retail therapy. Now, just for a moment there I thought you were going to tell us you spent your students' money too! ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man. You are so lucky. I love book shopping. Love love love it. Sometimes I just buy books because they are pretty.

    I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! But you saved money in a backwards logic kinda way and you did get a free tote bag!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, the free tote bag is incredible justification. Makes it all worthwhile... books AND a tote bag. Love it. Though, sometimes, you just gotta buy books. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A free tote bag on top of everything else...well, it all sounds perfectly sane to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, I suspect it'll ring true for many of us. lol And the club is REALLY the Millionaire's club. Scary, eh? Ironic? Ohhhh yes.

    Iliana, isn't it great? And, yes, I was responsible with my students' money. In fact, I have to GO BACK TOMORROW to buy another book for another student. Lord, give me strength!

    Ex, amen!

    Nik, yep, pretty books are my other downfall. The covers are so alluring.

    Nat, EXACTLY! I knew you'd understand.

    Melissa, amen and right on! They kill me with tote bags. I lurv freebies.

    Debi, thankyouverymuch! Justification makes me all warm and fuzzy.

    Heather, bookworms unite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I relate to this completely. Bookstores will be the death of me one day. But hey, it's good to treat oneself every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have...three tote bags. This spending problem happens to me often, I'm sorry to say. Misery does love company though, so it's nice to read of someone else succumbing to temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try working in a bookstore! Every single day I'm tempted to spend at least $50 on all the lovelies.

    Glad you had a fun shopping spree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh, free tote bag (I have a wee bit of a bag addiction). How could you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buying books is an investment...yeah, that's the ticket.
    Actually, when it comes to book buying, I take the Mary Poppins stance--I never explain myself.
    Buyng books is good for you. In fact, I think I saw a report or something from the Surgeon General or the World Health Organizaton, or something like that, and they are pretty sure that purchasing books reduces the chances of getting all kinds of cancer, rare diseases, memory loss, and...oh shoot, can't remember what else, but yeah, buying books is good for your health...really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hehe-gotta love retail therapy! I'm actually better at stopping myself from buying books (since there's a library) than shoes (we ought to have shoe libraries). And gourmet-ish food for some reason. Those are my two weaknesses. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray for retail therapy! And for real paychecks! I must be a very sick individual, because I think I do bookstore retail therapy far too often for my own good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!